• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sometimes they get caught on things.

They do that. Why not take them off?

They make it easier to rack the slide on a pistol with one hand. You got a primary and secordary or backup when you break the first off. :cheers:

They visually confirm the alignment of the gun with the target. For me, alignment of the gun on close targets can use other visual inputs, but the farther away the target, the more I need the precision available through using the sights to get the hit I want.

And, of course, sometimes I don't use any visual input, and usually end up regretting it.

Sights and optical devices provide precise visual input-- specifically, indicating the exact spot where the muzzle is oriented and (provided they are zero'd and the gun is accurate) where a projectile will strike downrange.

Thus they serve as a speedometer for a shooter who is maintaining acceptable accuracy at speed. But they don't for a shooter who is not...

Thus they prove the means through which shot calling is achieved for the shooter who is paying attention. But they don't for a shooter who is not...

Thus they allow for precise accuracy for the shooter who is utilizing visual patience to let them align and settle. But they don't for a shooter who is not...

ETA-- Sights are everything and nothing at the same time. You can call shots and return them to sufficient alignment at hyper-speed all day long, but if you're shooting "brown" or whacking away at the trigger... They won't do you much good. (Ask me how I know...)

Edited by Sin-ster

To me the sights are like the steering wheel of a car. It is going to direct the car/bullet to where the driver/shooter intends for the car/bullet to end up. I hope this makes sense

Wouldn't they be more like the windshield? The sights don't direct the gun, do they?

I would say the steering wheel on a car is an input device.

I would say the grip is the steering wheel, and the trigger is your gas * pedal.

I still think the sights are my speedometer, but they could be likened to the windshield, if you take into account "speed awareness" and "depth perception".

Edited by Chris Keen