Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Redding G-Rx Die Issue

fortini01

I use the Redding G-Rx steel die on a Lyman press for all of my 40 S&W brass. Before I used the die for the first time I cleaned it really well and cleaned all of the brass really well. After running some brass through the die I noticed evenly spaced lines in the brass from the case mouth all the way down and now after using the die for a month or so the lines have become worse, now I can feel the grooves in the brass. Has anyone else had this problem with their die? I have already sent an email to Redding and just waiting on a reply.

Tx,

Steve

Hope you got the carbide version. Either way you can try to run a bore brush through the die to try to clean it up. It probably just has brash shavings stuck to it. As has been said, lube is needed no matter which type die you have.

As has been said, lube is needed no matter which type die you have.

True that! Many folks think that lubing the cases is not necessary with the carbide version but that would is not correct. In addition, pushing lubed cases through the die is much more effortless than trying to push "dry" cases.

As has been said, lube is needed no matter which type die you have.

True that! Many folks think that lubing the cases is not necessary with the carbide version but that would is not correct. In addition, pushing lubed cases through the die is much more effortless than trying to push "dry" cases.

Never had an issue with my carbide die. No lube is necessary...but I use a redding turret press with a long handle and go to the gym often.

Jeff

Thank you everyone for all of the replies to my post. I should have added that yes, I do lube all of the brass before running them through the die. I bought the steel version of the die and am kicking myself for not spending a little more and getting the carbide. I have read on several post that most folks use lube even with the carbide die, that was the other reason I bought the steel. I am going to try and polishing it if I do not hear back from Redding in a day or two.

Steve