Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Copied from FB: Real Bullets

Real Bullets.

Last Saturday was my first ever live fire group class, and to quote Chris Farley, IT WAS...

AWESOME.

I was nervous as hell driving out there, felt just like I did just before going on stage in the 90s. Not scared, but READY.

There were 6 shooters, ranging from D to A class, and all with different strengths, weaknesses and experiences.

They all showed up on a crisp fall morning with open minds, ready to work and learn.

We started out with the standard dry fire tune up, because:

1. I am the dry fire guy, after all.

2. I needed to evaluate everyone's basic gunhandling and provide recommendations.

See, I never insist that anybody do anything. I seek for them self-analysis, and I really don't care how they do a given technique. I only insist that THEY care how they do it, and always seek to improve it.

And of course, I provide proven alternatives to bullshit. :)

Next up: Calling the shot. A real eye opener for the whole group, most of whom did not know what that meant and surely couldn't do it. We made real progress there.

RANT: FIBER OPTIC FRONT SIGHTS ARE STUPID AND SHOULD BE THROWN IN THE RIVER.

Unless there is a specific vision problem that is solved by FO sights, please just use black ones. The reason are numerous, and we'll talk more about it later. I know a lot of the big boys use them, but they know what they're doing and can process that extra information.

Next up, Transitions: We did two drills for transitions and used a metronome to introduce the idea of cadence. Half of our group were douple tapping before and were not after.

On to: Entries and Exits. Gun high in the peripheral vision, leave early and shoot early.

Deceleration: Run your ass off, but brake early and let the sight tell you when to shoot before you stop.

The secret. Yep, I told 'em THE SECRET.

Next, we shot on the move for 90 minutes in all 4 directions. Shooting on the move, at any speed, trumps stopping.

Learn it, live it, love it. Then send me a check. :)

There were 3 lectures:

Mental Game

The key to low field course times

Mental Game

To finish up, we set up a little stage. I let them analyze it alone, and then shoot it.

Then I blew some more hot air about:

Analysis

Visualization

LAMR Mindset

And then they shot it again. Everyone was either significantly faster or more accurate, and for one of two reasons.

Their plan either improved or was better memorized, or both.

They devoted more headspace to calling the shot.

One or two may have managed all of the above. Which is significant, becuase I spent the whole day changing and challenging everything they thought they knew about shooting.

One shooter had never considered the idea of only going where you have to go in stage, and would have taken the whole tour of the stage other wise. That will save him HOURS over the course of his career.

And it's not surprising that the most improved improved shooter of the class was female.

See, all men think they are great at 3 things. 2 of them are driving and shooting.

As such, they are more skeptical students. Women tend to be more open to instruction, at least in endeavors of skill.

(This does not apply when the man and woman involved have carnal knowledge. Then all bets are off. Ever try to teach your wife something? Good luck. She's seen you naked. She ain't buying it.)

And because I did not teach yesterday's class in the nude, there were no such distractions. It was still pretty chilly, and hot brass has no business near the gentlemen's area.

Our lone lady shooter just got it. All day long. She listened, learned, and did exactly what I asked her to do. Her husband, 8 feet tall and 4 feet wide, took half the class and inspired much comedy and excellence as well. (I won't tell anybody you fart when you laugh real hard, Jose. Oops.)

You're a good sport, Jose! The class was enriched by your presence and participation

In Summary: It was a fantastic day, because I'm great at 4 things: 3 of them are shooting, driving, and teaching.

Now get to work.