Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

bullet through chrono

juan

180 bear creek 4.7 wst gave me 170 pf.

changed lot number went to chrono 162 pf. also put a hole through chrono.

went back checked powder weight, its throwing 4.4

I know its a gamble do you think bumping up to 4.7 and praying at the chrono stage.

I dont think the ideal situation of getting a new chrony is going to happen.

Aim higher... lol. Personally I would make sure and run competition ammo over a chronograph. Possibly changing to a powder with less lot to lot variation. There are plenty of things we can get DQ'd for. No sense in spending the dough and taking the time to go to the match just to worry about the PF. I have found I shoot better when I am prepared and I have confidence in my gear, then I can concentrate on shooting and gaming the stages rather than wondering if I am going home.

Edited by usmc0326

My load using 180 grain lead TC bullets at 4.8 grains of WST gave me 960 to 980 FPS with no signs of pressure. My barrel is leading terrible in front of the chamber after 100rds though.

Edited by Jimbo76

My load using 180 grain lead TC bullets at 4.8 grains of WST gave me 960 to 980 FPS with no signs of pressure. My barrel is leading terrible in front of the chamber after 100rds though.

A little off topic, but check to see if your crimp is set correctly. It's been discussed here quite a bit. There is a chance the powder doesn't have anything to do with the leading, and there is too much crimp.

update

was able to borrow a chrono

That's the best.

An alternative: Yes, it's a long drive, but you can always come to Richmond this Sunday for the match. I guarantee that there will be some last minute nervous nellies wanting to chrono their loads before heading to Vegas the following week.

Come shoot the match and chrono afterwards. You'll have a second set of reference data.

We have people coming from as far away as Reno, so the round trip, with match and meals between, is proven doable in a day.