Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sporting Clays with 3 gun shotgun

MikeRush

That was what I had thought, and justified to myself, but it doesn't quite seem to work that way. Despite extra receiver length in a repeater compared to an o/u it still doesn't swing the same in practice. When I started this post I was trying to make my 24" sx2 with a 9 round tube work for me and I never had great results with it. Most extensions are pretty light. Maybe if I filled the tube up, but most courses don't want you to have 10 in the gun. YMMV but I get better results with a longer gun.

Recenty started shooting skeet with my 21" M2 with a 10 shot tube. I got some stange looks from the old timers, and had my eyes opened to different way of thinking about shooting. I don't feel disadvantaged with the gun, but then again I don't know any better.

I'd assume using the short 3 gun shotgun with one of the longer mag tube extensions would give somewhat the same effect as a longer barrel on the swing and follow thru ???

Nope. Say you have a 32" O/U barrel that weighs 3.5 lbs and that weight is evenly distributed along its whole length. It will have a certain measurable moment of inertia. Take that same weight of 3.5 lbs but put it in a 21" barrel and mag extension but not evenly distributed because of gas systems, recoil springs, lugs to support the magazine, magazine spring and follower, etc. and you will get a very different moment of inertia. Even if you get the two setups to balance statically at the same point, say 4" in front of the trigger, once they start moving, they will feel quite different. Even if you had a 32" O/U barrel and a 21" O/U barrel that weighed the same, they would feel quite different because, again, they would have different moments of inertia. The amount of weight and the distance it is from the axis of rotation determines moment of inertia and the 32" barrels will have a greater amount of weight farther from the axis of rotation which is what gives them the feel that clay shooters like.

In the end, the feeling of that 32" O/U will be better for clays and moving targets. Plus, especially if you shoot low gun, the sight picture of the longer O/U is also more favorable. No, you don't ever look at the barrel when shooting clays but you have to have an awareness of it and the longer barrels is better for this.

Edited by leftnose

• 2 weeks later...

Hello: The little bit that I have shot shotgun you can do alot with choke selection and pattern the shotgun as well. If you know how it hits and the pattern it throws you will hit alot more. I have done this with my Versa Max Tactical and I know what chokes to use for me when shooting Trap or 5-stand. Skeet and sporting clays will be next. Thanks, Eric

• 1 year later...

So i am in the same boat here. I am pretty new to sg in general. Started with a 870 tactical (18") and couldn't hit the broad side of a barn let alone flying clays. I am sure a good bit of this is me being new to shot guns as i am sure an experienced guy could pick it up and smoke plenty of them. I recently bought a 1301C (24") and gave skeet another try last week. I did considerably better but still a new shooter making plenty of mistakes, as the guy teaching was very good and pointed them out for me. I also wondered about using a 2 inch choke in mine. One of the guys at the gun club was telling me the longer choke allows a smoother transition of the shot through the cone and lowers the "impact or shock" of the sudden tightening of a standard choke. No idea how much this "felt" by the shooter. I was originally thinking of getting the 2" modified choke for duck hunting with it this fall. Is it worth going this route for clays/ducks at all or just stick with the a standard choke? The mass distribution makes sense to me and just adding a 2 inch steel choke to the end will add mass, be it all at the end. Looks like the price difference between a 3/4" and 2" is only $5. Just trying to avoid buying and testing as much as i can as i just bought the gun, the nordic +5, and got my lifter welded. Would prefer not to buy 2 modified chokes when i could buy two different chokes.

Edited by xtremekramer

At the distances skeet targets are shot you could take the choke out out the gun and break them all. It has nothing to do with the choke. Save your money and practice. The light will come on when you practice..

This is a bit of a blast from the past for me, to see this thread up again- I started this thread in 2012. Coincidentally I shot sporting clays again last Saturday, and trap this week after a long time off of shooting at anything clay. With the 24", 10 shot SX2 and shot a 20 and a 21 at trap. You can definitely hit things with a 24" barreled guns, but it takes more work and is less forgiving. On some of the more challenging presentations at SC I just couldn't hit with the SX2 that I was able to hit consistently with the 870. Both guns are choked light mod.

My girlfriend prompted the shotgun shooting revival and is looking at getting a shotgun. The fine O/Us recommended in this thread are out of the budget for what may be a passing phase but she is taking a closer look at the 391s. I just may pick up one too if we are going to be shooting more clays. It seems like it would make a decent dove/clay gun without breaking the bank, and there are forend weights available to tune the swing. There is a range about an hour away that has a USPSA match every Saturday, and also has a SC course that we could always hit after.

I am glad I have worked with the 3 gun shotgun to test the limits, but it sure is fun breaking a very challenging target and I just do that more often with longer barreled guns.

xtremekramer, I don't think a choke is going to make much of a difference in swing either way. Those 1301s are light! Have you considered a longer barrel on the 870 for hunting/clays? That has worked quite well for me.

I had thought about doing that before buying my 1301. Realized I would be about a 1/3 of the way to the 1301 once I got all the mods done on my 870, so I just kept saving for it. My goal this year is going to be to learn my 1301 by shooting it for everything (not to mention learning sg). I may look into a longer barrel at a later date. So I know most who go with the 3/4 choke do it so they are changeable with out a tool. Why would some one want a 2" extended choke? The general thoughts on this board seem to be it's not like it's going to make my 24 shoot any more like a 26 from the sounds of it? I am really shooting clays for practice on moving targets more so then picking up another hobby. I am looking to pick up the modified for shooting steel (full choke with steel) at birds and give me an additional option for 3gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk