Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Snipers Hide .5 MOA Challenge

Shooter115

The .5 MOA Challenge has been mentioned a few times in misc threads, so it seamed appropriate for it to have it's own topic. Here's the link to it .5 MOA challenge. I'm not a member over there, and don't feel the need to be on yet another forum (if I had been successul then maybe). But figured since it was about the nicest day you could ever hope for, I decided to give it a try just for the challenge. The idea is 6 five shot 100 yard groups, all under .5 MOA on the same piece of paper. Getting a .5 group here and there with a good AR isn't all that lofty of a goal, getting 6 in a row is a bitch!

Like I said it was a nice day today, hovering right around 79 degrees and absolutly zero wind. The perfect situation to shoot some groups and with winter coming I needed to check the zero on my varmint rig anyways. I also needed to zero my 3-gun rifle, so I had plenty of excuses to sneak away for a couple hours.

Well I almost made it. 6 consecutive .5 MOA groups is a pretty tall order. On my third attempt I thought I was going to pull it off, then on my second to last shot on my last target I totally choked and sent one way out into right field :angry2: I called it quits after that and it turned out a couple of my groups I didn't totally screw up were over .5 anyways. I ended up with a .5493 avg. There it is, I tried it now it's your turn. Lots of talk on the interwebz, let's see what you got.

post-35158-0-78265400-1348958882_thumb.j

Rifle is a real mutt, but it works. Bushy lower, DPMS Hi-rider upper, Lothar Walther 20" barrel, Jard trigger at 15oz, Nordic Covette comp, DPMS HG, A2 stock, Sightron 4-16x scope in Burris Signature Zee rings. Load is a 50gr V-max on top of 26gr of H335 with CCI BR4 primers

post-35158-0-19395000-1348958976_thumb.j

What really suprised me was my 3-gun rig. I had just torn the thing completely down to do a little touch up work on the feed ramps. Barrel off, scope and mount off, stripped to the upper. Put it all back together a couple nights ago and shot it for the first time today. What floored me is the zero didn't shift at all. First group was just over an inch and dead on POA. Pretty good for a 4x optic (hence the big ass target). I just couldn't believe I never even had to pull the scope caps, that's gotta be just dumb luck.

post-35158-0-60681300-1348982394_thumb.j

Edited by Shooter115