Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hammer follow with slingshot reloads

glknineteen

So, I'm having occasional hammer follow with my slingshot reloads. It doesn't happen during livefire, and it hasn't happened so far if I put in a mag and drop with the slide release. Like I said, only happens occasionally, but that still means something is wrong, am I right?

What parts might be the problem? Am I just going to have to replace the whole fire control group?

Edited by glknineteen

Ok, so after-maintenance update. I finally got a chance to do a complete tear down. Nothing seems wrong. My hammer hooks are in good shape, the sear and disconnect are like new, and although I put a little extra tension on the sear leg of my spring, the hammer follow persists.

n If it helps anyone diagnose this, it's only on relatively aggressive reloads, and the hammer always slips to the halfcock notch. That means that either the sear leg needs more tension, or there's damage that I'm not seeing to the hammer hook or sear, right? Or am I missing something?

Lay the leaf spring in its slot and slide the mainspring in place (no beavertail). With a punch push on each of the leaves. If the spring moves and isn't in contact with anything then you have what's called unsprung movement.

There is a fine line between a good light trigger and having the trouble you are having. Usually not enough tension is the culprit.

Edited by ipscjoe

Thanks again all...after teardown #2, I think the issue was insufficient tension on the sear from the sear leg. I think I get how this was creating the problem, almost like a "sear bounce" situation. Put more tension on the sear leg, and now I can't make the hammer follow. Problem hopefully solved.