Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

red dot for steel with rifle

Arkieron

• 1 month later...

I have a 10/22 for use on steel and critters. Any input on type and brand of red dot appreciated. Tube vs. Open?

I settled on the Burris Fastfire for both of my 10/22s and the Nordic AR22. Light and quick with more FOV than tube dots.

I agree with Eric, you can't do any better than a C more for steel and it works great on critters too. The tube sights restrict the vision too much. Plus C more is a great sponsor of the shooting sports. Dot size is a personal preference. I prefer the 6 minute dot for steel.

Dwight

• 2 weeks later...

if you are using the Standard stock.....or any stock that mimicks the factory comb; the C'More will actually be uncomfortable to get a decent check hold. TACCOM, does have a universal 90 degree mount that you could use, to put the C'More railway closer to the bore and get a decent cheek hold.....the bad thing is now the sigh covers everthign to the left.

The good news for rifle is that you actually could go with a tube set up mounted as low as possible to the barrel.......but the little reflex sights like the C'More STS or the Vortex seem to be the most bullet proof out there. The Leupold is alsoa good choice!!

Now.....if you end up with the Nordic stock or something that mimicks an AR cheek hold......then the aboslute best set up is the C'More railway......and don't look back.

Tim

• 2 months later...

I have a 10/22 for use on steel and critters. Any input on type and brand of red dot appreciated. Tube vs. Open?

In the case of rifles both reflex and tube sights work pretty well. C-mores are great but the cost and ruggedness is kind of wasted on a .22 carbine. I find that a decent reflex sight like a TruGlo Dual Red/Green reflex works pretty good. I used one on 2 different rifles in the last 2 Ruger Rimfire World Championships. They are plenty bright in daylight if you use the green color. At the last RRWC I picked a Pentax HS20 red dot off the prize table and that has been working real well since then also. Just as a dig I beat John Allchin and his super expensive 10/22 and C-More in the Wounded Warrior side match of the 2012 RR WC using an AR-15 with a CMMG conversion and the TruGlo reflex sight. And I'm older than he is. What I'm saying is it is mainly the shooter not the equipment. Even though it is a rifle you still need to shoot it both eyes open for speed. You want to get where you can do the double tap drills in around 1.5s or less. I use a CMMG .22 conversion either on my HD AR or my 3-gun AR, or one of my 2 customized M&P AR15-22s

Now for critters (what our club calls metallic silhouette) I don't use a red dot, I use a 1.5-4.5x turkey scope, on a totally different rifle from any of those. One with an 8 oz Jard trigger.

Edited by photoracer

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

I've had problems with mounting a CMore on 10/22s. The sight sits too high for me, I have to put my chin on the stock instead of my cheek to get my eye to line up with dot.

• 1 month later...

I've had problems with mounting a CMore on 10/22s. The sight sits too high for me, I have to put my chin on the stock instead of my cheek to get my eye to line up with dot.

Try the Allchin (no pun intended) C-more mount, it's very low.

http://www.allchingunparts.com/details.php?prodId=81&category=2&secondary=&keywords=

Like I mentioned earlier....if you run a C'More on the 10/22.....you need to add to height of the comb to get a decent cheek weld.

It's rather interesting.....We've been running a C'more on my son's rifle for the last year........after the World Shoot, he wanted it taken off and to be replaced with that cheap panoramic sight that you see all over for $39.95 with the multiple reticles. So I bought 4 of them.....sighted them all in and he's been running faster than he has ever been running. He likes the circle/dot set up as he can bracket or anticipate and KNOW when to pull the trigger as he comes across the plate. That being said....we will have that new small EOtech sight next year for his rifle. The C'more still reigns supreme for the pistol (set at 90 degrees)

Tim

Ive been running the c-more for some time on the rifle .a mod that i used to get the sight lower was to drill and tap the rail that comes with the rifle. im running a black hawk stock. I agree getting a good check weld is dificult.ive been using a chin weld LOL ill be getting a magpul rear stock with one of there rissers next week. my new rifle is going to be fast!! once i get used to it !

• 2 months later...

this is with a cheapie NcStar 1x30 red dot on a SIG522 - I think I paid $25 for it -- it's bright enough on power 7 even in direct sunlight

BTW this was SAT 12/07/13 85 degrees in Sunny FL

Edited by prk

• 3 weeks later...

Try the Allchin (no pun intended) C-more mount, it's very low.

http://www.allchingunparts.com/details.php?prodId=81&category=2&secondary=&keywords=

Made all the differance in the world. I can line up on the CMore now and use a rifle I thought was going to sit in the safe and never get used.