Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

First Try! Double Barrel

polizei1

Awesome, thanks for all the help. I might need some more when it comes to the WSB, but I'll let you know. I still need to find a copy that I can actually open, the one from USPSA won't open on my Mac beacuse it states the file was created on an unsupported version of Word.

I'm working on another stage now, which will most likely be a long stage with more options and ports, like the one pictured above. This is quite fun!

BTW: That zip line was awesome, I can see some future use out of that Kevin.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you quickly learning one of the problems of stage design, you are never done there is always something you can change or tweak in your design. this can be good when you have a actual problem with a stage but if it would work as is sometimes its best to stop and go with it.

If you aren't already, volunteer to help set up the stages at your club, its a good way to get a feel for how each type of prop you have available works in the real world, and you may find that some of the props you are thinking of using are easier to set up and tear down than others that perform the same job, at the club I design the most for our walls set up really easy so I use more of them than I would at some of the other clubs in my area where the walls are harder to set up.

one thing I found that was helpful in designing stages in sketchup was downloading the satellite picture of the bays so I could make sure my scale was correct for placing steel. sometimes the bays aren't as wide or deep as you think they are.

Mike

Check your scoring point totals.

Also, is your intent to have them not facing down range at the start? If so you need something like Standing inside shooting area with toes touching XX on rear fault line. This will give the shooter a lot of flexibility in their start position which is what I thought you were going for when you did not want it to state "Facing uprange".

I would make sure the wall support feet are not touching the fault lines as a shooter could too easily step on them and think they were still inside the shooting area.

If all you say is "gun on barrel" the shooter can stand it up, prop it up, whatever. Probably should be something like "flat on barrel, with no propping".

QUICK!! What is the distance from the forward fault line to the steel?

Edited by Sarge

Without looking...I think it's 23'?

What about this:

"Handgun is unloaded and placed on either barrel facing down-range. Handgun must lay flat, no propping allowed. Toe’s must be on “XX’s” facing up-range, hands naturally at sides."

Edited by polizei1

Without looking...I think it's 23'?

2.1.3 Minimum Distances – Whenever metal targets or metal hard cover are

used in a course of fire, precautions must be taken so that competitors

and Match Officials maintain a minimum distance of 23 feet from them

while they are being shot. Where possible, this should be done with

physical barriers. If Fault Lines are used to limit the approach to metal

targets, they must be placed at least 26 feet from the targets so that the

competitor may inadvertently fault the line and still be outside the 23

feet minimum distance (see Rule 10.5.17). Care should also be taken in

respect of metal props in the line of fire.

What about this:

"Handgun is unloaded and placed on either barrel facing down-range. Handgun must lay flat, no propping allowed. Toe’s must be on “XX’s” facing up-range, hands naturally at sides."

Facing Uprange . . . . . . . . .Face and feet pointing straight uprange with shoulders

parallel to the backstop.

In addition to the feet of the walls not touching the fault lines, add an RO note that if a shooter decides to lean against the wall for support while shooting, it will incur procedurals as per 10.2.1.

A competitor who fires shots while any part of their body is touching the ground or while stepping on an object beyond a Shooting Box or a Fault Line, or who gains support or stability through contact with an object which is wholly beyond and not attached to a Shooting Box or Fault Line, will receive one procedural penalty for each occurrence.

Alright...what do you guys think about this one:

Screenshot2012-09-27at84223PM.png

This took a lot of time, don't be too harsh!!! :roflol:

There's a wall in the middle BTW.

You do realise that all shots must be taken from inside the fault lines, but the fault lines in no way constrains where a shooter may travel while not shooting?

Also, there is no such thing as a USP any more. There are pepper poppers and mini pepper poppers. PP or MPP

Thanks, I didn't know that. The template I have must be old, I'll update it.

You do realise that all shots must be taken from inside the fault lines, but the fault lines in no way constrains where a shooter may travel while not shooting?

Yes, do you see an issue with the design?

Ok now I'm curious...how would you shoot the stage?

The option is there for shooters to stop in the middle and shoot between the walls, if they desire. Same goes for the right side. This keeps it freestyle because there are plenty of angles for the shooter to choose. The open guys might feel more comfortable standing back and shooting the distance, new shooters might want to run up all the way and shoot them close.

What if I move the walls in closer to the fault lines so the shooter either has to run on the outside and back in, or down the narrow middle?

Edited by polizei1

Ok now I'm curious...how would you shoot the stage?

The option is there for shooters to stop in the middle and shoot between the walls, if they desire. Same goes for the right side. This keeps it freestyle because there are plenty of angles for the shooter to choose. The open guys might feel more comfortable standing back and shooting the distance, new shooters might want to run up all the way and shoot them close.

What if I move the walls in closer to the fault lines so the shooter either has to run on the outside and back in, or down the narrow middle?

It looks like a pretty narrow view through those ports on about 10yard targets. There are a not many shooters I know of who wouldn't run right by that especially given the option to shoot them in the clear.

I'd say make the view wider and place no-shoots on the fences.

And as far as I can tell there is no way to shoot the targets on the right side effectively from the narrow section if that's the intent. The angles don't seem to work for fast shooting nor can you get at the activator of the swinger.

Ok...

I'm working on a revision now for "Tight Squeeze" hopefully I'll have it done in the next day or so. I added a no-shoot on the left-side between the walls and am working on forcing the shooter to shoot down the middle. Hopefully it'll be more interesting.

My whole idea behind this one was to get the shooter to either shoot on the move through the walls, or stop and engage them. With the old design, I completely agree that if I were shooting the stage, I wouldn't even bother to follow the fault lines.

Edited by polizei1

Ok here's my latest try...

Screenshot2012-09-29at95241PM.png

I feel like the setup on this stage could be a bit tricky, but I think it would be a very fun and fast stage to shoot. The only problem I really see is at the "north" end of the course, the shooter is going to have to backtrack and will have to be cognizant of the 180. Also, the RO will have to stay back a little bit for that reason.

The targets on the sides are visible from between the walls on either side. At the angle, they could be shot on the move up to it, or the shooter could stop and shoot them.

Ok here's my latest try...

Screenshot2012-09-29at95241PM.png

I feel like the setup on this stage could be a bit tricky, but I think it would be a very fun and fast stage to shoot. The only problem I really see is at the "north" end of the course, the shooter is going to have to backtrack and will have to be cognizant of the 180. Also, the RO will have to stay back a little bit for that reason.

The targets on the sides are visible from between the walls on either side. At the angle, they could be shot on the move up to it, or the shooter could stop and shoot them.

Can we get some side views?

TightSqueezerevise4.jpg

Make it really interesting by putting the left port low enough and position the activating popper so you can hit it if from further back in the course, near the start of the narrow section. You might have to shift the 'point' to shooters left a little to do that.

Edited by PistoleroJesse

What do you mean by making the left port "low enough?"

Also, I'm not sure if I'll be able to move the popper but I'll try. The thing that concerns me about moving it is how the splatter might come off, I don't want it to hit the swinger and cause problems.

What do you mean by making the left port "low enough?"

Also, I'm not sure if I'll be able to move the popper but I'll try. The thing that concerns me about moving it is how the splatter might come off, I don't want it to hit the swinger and cause problems.

This port would be 'too high' to hit the mini popper from where the shooter stands. If you put the port low enough shooters will have a direct shot at it and make it interesting by forcing them to a lower shooting position to hit your swinger, the angled low targets should be pretty easy from up close.

post-22584-0-71898300-1349131145_thumb.p

Edited by PistoleroJesse