Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

dillon press square deal

knh

:D :D not new to reloading have owned two lee 1000 pro presses.wish to get info on the dillon square deal press.own only one pistol a sig 229 in 22lr and 40sw.shot once twice a week about 100 rds.want to change presses not for quanity but quality with out the continues nit picking I have had with the lee 1000 presses.would like in put from any one that has used the dillon square deal.thanks in advance.

I love my SDB. I have nothing bad to say about it.

Contrary to popular belief, I can easily load large quantities of ammo on it fairly quickly. To be honest, I'm not sure how a 550 or 650 is any faster (unless you have a case feeder).

However, it is not a very versitle press. It uses proprietary SDB dies, and cannot load rifle ammo.

I love my SDB. I have nothing bad to say about it.

It uses proprietary SDB dies, and cannot load rifle ammo.

+1. I switched from a single stage press to the Square Deal

almost 20 years ago, and LOVE it - no problems (except an

occasional piece breaking, which is quickly replaced for free

by DILLON - super service - super press.

:cheers:

I love my SDB, so much in fact I have two, one for 9x19 small primer and one for 45acp large primer. I won't complain about the versatility or pistol only calibers, since I got both of them used for under $200 each. You can easily crank out 100 in 15 minutes if your all setup with powder and primer tubes.

Another plus 1 for the square deal. I bought mine to do lower quantities of ammo since I have a LnL with bullet and case feeder in my dads basement. I live in an apt so no room for it. I was very surprised at how fast I can make ammo with it. Approx 15 minutes per 100 and thats not trying to move fast. I'm thru a few hundred rounds before I know it.

If someone is only going to load pistol and even at 1000 rounds a month the SDB is the way to go.

:D :D not new to reloading have owned two lee 1000 pro presses.wish to get info on the dillon square deal press.own only one pistol a sig 229 in 22lr and 40sw.shot once twice a week about 100 rds.want to change presses not for quanity but quality with out the continues nit picking I have had with the lee 1000 presses.would like in put from any one that has used the dillon square deal.thanks in advance.

:cheers:

:cheers: thank yo'll for the promt reply,you have helped make up my mind either the square deal or the 550B.am going with the square deal price is some thing I can live with and I do not load for quanity so what I shoot per week can easily reloaded.with my lees No.1 was fine this latone is like a naging wife.all ways some thing wrong.thank yo'll again.

I recently bought a 650 because I want to play with rifles too. That said I used my square deal for 45 acp in the 90's, but stored it away for 12 years. Pulled it out in August 2012, put some powder and primmers in it, confirmed the powder setting had not changed, and started reloading a few hundred. Perfect!

Only selling it to help pay for 650.

Edited by reloader901

:D am waiting delivery of my dillon press.have had a month of down time at the range due to heavy rainy season the road washed down hill into the range.the range is built were many yrs ago they mined phosphate rock and the road is built with lime rock,well come to fl.my lee 1000 is pcked an awaiting to be shipped to the new owner.any newbies from the confederate state of fl?

There's only one draw back to a square deal, stuck with Dillon dies and limited to pistol calibers. 550 will use standard dies from any manufacturer plus load rifle calibers. My 550 is thirty years old and has been a true work horse it will load any caliber pistol or rifle. Been used to pull bullets with a collet puller can even trim with a Dillon trimmer. Very versatle machine. You will add other firearms to your collection. Get a pistol with a tight chamber or a new barrel for your favorite blaster, you can purchase dies that will load for the tight chamber. I have friends who have to use a U die in a single stage press before loading on a square deal to load for custom barreled 1911's. Waste of time when a 550 will do it in one trip through the press. 550 is by and far the best entry level progressive press out there.

Square deal will work fine for one caliber in stock pistols even loading faster than a 550 but it can't come close to out performing a 550.

Buy the machine that will last a lifetime.

I upgraded from a Square Deal B to a 650 in August for a little more than a 550 costs (got 5% off from a Dillon dealer, and another 10% off from ebay for using their mobile app they are promoting.)

Going from a self indexing Square Deal to a manual indexing 550 struck me as major step backwards that I didn't want do. The only down-side is I have to sell my Square Deal to pay for the 650.

I have two the oldest is around 27 years old and still loads good ammo. All of the dies sets I have will load ammunition that will pass case gauge tests. If I find that one of my guns won't run on ammunition sized to factory specs I fix the gun instead of altering my loading methods. "U" dies are the wrong soultion IMO.

:cheers: thank yo'll for the promt reply,you have helped make up my mind either the square deal or the 550B.am going with the square deal price is some thing I can live with and I do not load for quanity so what I shoot per week can easily reloaded.with my lees No.1 was fine this latone is like a naging wife.all ways some thing wrong.thank yo'll again.

I too started with Lee products (single stage and Turrets) in the 80's. 2 years ago I started with the Lee Pro 1000's and moved up to a Load Master...I 'thought' I was the smart one since I could get a Pro 1000, several sets of dies, powder, and primers for what a SDB in ONE caliber cost. Then, after pulling my hair out trying to fix the (now recalled) primer shoe/shuttle on my Load Master for the 4th time...I gave in and ordered a 550. Needless to say it was like going from a Geo to a Cadilac. I think the first time I used it I loaded 1500 rounds...and had very few bad loads (usually after refilling the powder drop..had to settle). I have loaded everything from .32 S&W to 7mm mag on it....and it just keeps on going.

I recently purchased an SDB (like 2 weeks ago) to load smaller cartridges. The 550 can zing the little .32's around. I got it in 45 ACP and purchased some used dies off Ebay. Took it out of the box and within about 40 mins I was loading 45...loaded 350 rounds in about 4 hours. Took my time. I am OCD about squibs...once you have one you'll know why. The point is even though this is there 'small' reloader it was cranking out quality rounds quickly and could do it as long as you kept putting the raw materials in it.

Either one will be fine...anciiary costs are about the same. The downside (as mentioned) of the SDB are the dies only work on it and it only loads pistol...but if that's your requirements...you will NOT FEEL like you got shortchanged for not buying the 550.

Undrpsi

:rolleyes: am amassed with my sd press.only one problem that I fixed promtly was a object in the small primer tube that was lodged and removed.never did see the object it disappeared

on the shop floor.thanks for the reply on your impression of the dillon presses and equipmeny.

I just received a Square Deal last week after a few years of loading with a single stage. I decided to get the SDB over the 550 because of cost and I really only load 9mm so I don't have a need for loading rifle rounds. I figured if things change in the future it wouldn't be so horrible to have two presses.

I'm amazed at how fast this press can spit out rounds. I have no regrets with this purchase, my only regret is not buying enough components to keep it fed.

The only thing I wish I could do on my SDB is full length re-sizing. Other than that I'm good with it. Calibers are pretty easy to change and the auto indexing takes away the constant fear of double charging. I still look into each case as I place a bullet though... a good habit to retain I'm sure.

I upgraded from a Square Deal B to a 650 in August for a little more than a 550 costs (got 5% off from a Dillon dealer, and another 10% off from ebay for using their mobile app they are promoting.)

Going from a self indexing Square Deal to a manual indexing 550 struck me as major step backwards that I didn't want do. The only down-side is I have to sell my Square Deal to pay for the 650.

I thought the exact same thing, until Vlad schooled me on proper operation of a 550.....

If I had started with a 550, I might not own a 650 now....

As it was my progression was SDB -- 2 SDBs -- SDB/650 -- 650/1050. If money and space were no object, I'd own a 1050 in each caliber I reload, and spares in the main caliber(s).....

• 2 months later...

buy one and don't look back, had mine for years, loading both 45acp and 40 s&w, love every minute of it :rolleyes:

+1 I can't imagine life with out it. I hit around 100 rounds every 15 minutes; that's fast enough for me. Use it mostly for .38SC. I have never had a single problem with it. I have even boxed it up a couple times, let it sit in storage, took it out, checked the powder charge ( which checked out fine), and went to town on it.

Like mentioned above, "buy one and don't look back!"