Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Can't install iTunes

All of the sudden iTunes stopped recognizing my iPhone. I uninstalled iTunes and then reinstalled (from admin account, Windows 7 home premium).

During installation i get an error that says "an error occurred during the installation of assembly "policy .8.0.Microsoft VC80.CRT.Type...." If I click "ok" right away the install rolls back, if I wait a bit the install continues, then when I open iTunes it says "Apple Mobile Device Support needs to be reinstalled" or something and it won't recognize my iPhone. I have tried installting just AMDS and it gives the same error as well as saying it can't start the AMDS service.

Have tried removing and reinstalling .net framework (same error), installing just apple application support first (installs fine) then doing itunes (same error), or doing apple application support then mobile device support (same error). Have also tried removing and reinstalling the visual C++ thing from MS to no avail. Have run Windows Update as well and still have the error. Any ideas?

All of the sudden iTunes stopped recognizing my iPhone. I uninstalled iTunes and then reinstalled (from admin account, Windows 7 home premium).

During installation i get an error that says "an error occurred during the installation of assembly "policy .8.0.Microsoft VC80.CRT.Type...." If I click "ok" right away the install rolls back, if I wait a bit the install continues, then when I open iTunes it says "Apple Mobile Device Support needs to be reinstalled" or something and it won't recognize my iPhone. I have tried installting just AMDS and it gives the same error as well as saying it can't start the AMDS service.

Have tried removing and reinstalling .net framework (same error), installing just apple application support first (installs fine) then doing itunes (same error), or doing apple application support then mobile device support (same error). Have also tried removing and reinstalling the visual C++ thing from MS to no avail. Have run Windows Update as well and still have the error. Any ideas?

Google is your friend. Google the message "policy .8.0.Microsoft VC80.CRT.Type". You will see you are not the first.

Talked for a long time to someone at apple they couldn't fix it, I think it's a MS problem.

Issue happened before I upgraded to iOS6, persists afterwards.

The issue appears related to installation if Apple Mobile Device Support, perhaps there are remnants of a previous install preventing subsequent installations.

I tried the above fixes and what I could find on google, none fixed it. Ended up wiping the drive and reinstalling windows. iTunes installed fine and works with my new iPhone 5.

Glad you got it working. If you had to go that far it's almost guaranteed Apple left something mucked up in the registery. ATI also used to be notorious for that. Sorry wgnoys that's not Windows, that's poorly written software. Hopefully they (Apple) get their act together but I wouldn't hold my breath. I've spent countless hours helping people get older Apple software cleaned off in the past, most notably QuickTime. Anymore I just avoid any of their products or software altogether.