Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

DIY Rifle Target

If this is in the wrong location please move it moderators and sorry for the inconvenience.

Since I am an engineer and I wanted to start shooting a steel target at a range by me (3 gun prep). However the range isn't my own I cannot leave my steel outside. I came up with the idea of a folding target holder and started to design. After a few designs I came up with the following.

Target in the completely folded position.

2012-09-18_18-07-58_978_zps60643094.jpg

Starting to flatten out.

2012-09-18_18-08-22_551_zps2d12ac31.jpg

Standing up. Side chains are connected in this step.

2012-09-18_18-09-26_113_zps21c1be1a.jpg

Finished

2012-09-18_18-09-52_44_zps075747c8.jpg

Engineering drawings and more details to follow.

Edited by smarcus3

The following supplies are required to make this:

• 2 - 8' long 2x4s
  • 4 - 1' long sections of chain
    [*}2 - Chain Hooks (see picture, cant think of correct name)
  • 6 - hooks
  • 1 - Shooting Steel Target
  • 2 - 1.5" long bolts
  • 4 - Washers
  • 2 - Nuts
  • 3 - Door Hinges
  • Box of Wood Screws

Here is my design and specifications. Feel free to use.

Target_zps1f5fbe09.png

Edited by smarcus3

Nice design , I am intrigued. Could you report back in after a hundred or so rounds and let us know how it holds up? Reason I ask, is I built some wooden stands for pistol steel challenge targets and after repeated firing, the H designed bases loosened up. I put stiffners across all joints and it helped a lot.

The wood frame is good for economics, but I wonder how many times you are going to need to replace various parts due to shrapnel hitting the uprights and feet. I would have gone with more of a cantilevered design to minimize the damage to the wod parts. Kind of like a U layimg on it's side. I am a mechanical engineer as well. Nice use of Solid Works.

Didn't think of that. We'll see what happens when I use it this weekend and I will modify it as required. Wood might be weak, but its cheap and light.

I'm a mech. engineer as well. Love inventor as its so easy to visualize something.

Edited by smarcus3

Talk to your local fire department. They retire hoses regularly. May have some laying aroung that are bad or have leaks you can pick up cheap. I think if you google it you may be able to find some on Ebay, etc. 50' would go a long way. Not sure where our range got theirs, but it is used on all of the hanging steels.

gerritm

if you lower your chain mounting holes on the plate, the plate will hang with more of an angle to deflect rounds into the ground, and will help extend the plate life by lowering the absorbed energy...

I don't have control over that as I currently buy the plate. I can play around with the mounting bolts to try and get the same effect.

Those light chains are going to get shot up quickly.... For rev 2.0, one of your requirements should be using the plate itself to protect the mount for the plate. Hanging the plates from hooks with their shanks horizontally mounted to a support behind the plate is one solution.

For just you it should last a while. The one below is the simple design I use for 3 gun but I have had hits on the conduit legs before, even as close as 100 yds (NRA Police match). It's not as compact as your design though.

DSC02100.jpg

The copy of the larue is the one I use most. It stays setup here at home, I have charging ports and stick a solor charger on it every now and then.

HPIM0417.jpg

As an engineer you might like the "guts".

th_MOV02072.jpg

I built 3/4" plywood stands for some texas stars. They didn't last even a thousand pistol rounds before being chewed completely through. Solid wood might last a bit longer, but I'd bet against it holding up to rifle round spatter.

Covering the feet and supports where the spatter hits with metal, mebbe nothing more than screwed in mending strips, might protect the wood enough.

Nice design. I would worry about longevity as well but who knows how long it will last. I just use shephards hooks from home depot (6 bucks a pop) to hang my steel targets. I think they are 4 feet high and haven't given me any fits yet. Very compact and fit into the boot of my VW with ease.