Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

HP-38 vs WST

gmg

I've always found a heavier bullet to be less "snappy". IMO,powders with the same burn rate don't seem to produce as much difference in perceived recoil as do different bullet weights. It seems to me that most posters discuss clean vs smokey, more than a change in recoil, as a reason to switch powders. Also cheaper vs expensive. YMMV

i don't use WST in 40 but I can tell you that in 45 i use to shoot 231 with a 230gr bullet. I switched to WST with the exact same combination and the WST definitely shoots softer. When i worked up my loads i thought i was too conservative but after i chrono'd them i actually had a bit more velocity.

WST is all i use now in 45.

I worked up a load this weekend for my Shadow with 147gr Bayou bullet and 3.6gr of WST. I was very impressed with WST and will be using it for practice and local matches but would not hesitate to use it in larger matches. I shot it against my N320 load for accuracy and it held it's own. The N320 load was super accurate. I am waiting on my TS to come in so I have not worked up a load for it yet. The 3.6gr of WST loaded to 1.135 out of my Shadow shot a 131pf.