Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shock-Buffs Affect Slide Lock

CKing866

I recently tried a Wilson Shock-Buff in my Kimber Team Match II. Overall I like the effect it has, but it took me a couple of practice matches to realize it requires a change to my gun handling. It is my habit, ingrained from years of "tactical" training, to chamber a round by racking the slide (overhand), rather than using the slide release. I had a pretty good run going through a stage until I emptied a mazine to slide-lock. (I know one isn't supposed to do that, but face it, it happens - especially to us guys new to the sport). I had a smooth magazine change, but when tried to rack the slide, nothing happened. I tried a couple more times, tried a different magazine, but still nothing. Out of desperation, I thumbed the slide release and was back in business. - about 8 seconds later

I must be hard headed, because I went through it all again the next week. I just couldn't figure out why my weapon was acting up all of a sudden. I asked another Kimber shooter if he had the same "problem" but he didn't know because he always used the slide release (Okay, I get it). Turns out his pistol did the same thing, but we couldn't figure out why. On my way home, thinking about this problem, I called him back and asked him if he used Shock-Buffs - he did. EUREKA! The Shock-Buff will not allow me to pull the slide far enough to the rear to disengage the slide lock - by hand at least. I may try thinning the Shock-Buff out a little to see if that corrects the situation, otherwise, I'll be a slide-release guy. Any other constructive suggestions are appreciated.

It is common. The notch on the Kimber slide is just in the right spot to sometimes not give you enough extra room to sling shot the slide from a locked backed position.

Remove the buffer. Problem. Solved.

Ha Ha! That would work too!

I had he Same problem with my Kimbers. I found removing the (unneeded) Shok buff solved all the problem. You were fortunate that you did not experience the "Hey why the hell can't I eject a live round" issue.

Like everyone else said, Remove the buffer.

Back in the day, we used multiple shok buffs to make sure the slide on Hi Caps wouldn't lock open prematurely and to set the timing on a comped gun, back then it wasn't called Open. The more shok buffs you had in the less dip in the muzzle. And it did seem to work better than just light springs.

I think most have put aside shok buffs especially for iron sighted guns as I've not heard of them being used in quite some time. I know I quit using them even on my Limited gun, though I did play with them a bit just to see. They do insert a random chance of a malfunction if not changed regularly.

My Limited slide is very light and I run a very light spring too. As a result I use Wilson shok-buffs and replace them every other match, which is about how long it takes to chew through one.

I like knowing its not battering itself to death while I enjoy the snappy recoil impulse, so I guess there's still a place for them if you like the feel. Never had any malfunctions.

Thanks for the insight and suggestions. For the time being, I'm using a factory recoil spring, so it sounds like the Shock-Buffs aren't all that helpful AND I'll keep working on using the slide release (it is faster for me) but if anyone knows of a slide release that I can use to overcome this, I'd appreciate a heads-up.

Edited by CKing866

I have a Springfield A1 that hates buffs. Hard to even use slide release. Was told when it was happening 2 things by people smarter than I. Did Mr. Browning put it in there? Why is it in there? Stock gun, ball ammo. Came to the conclusion not needed. Now if I was running hot loads or some such, maybe. But I don't. Pitch it. :)

Did Mr. Browning put it in there?

I agree that he should remove it, but with that logic, there is a whole ton of stuff on our modern pistols that shouldn't be in/on the gun. ;)

I was never a fan of that logic myself. Sevigny/Bomar/Novak sights, modular aluminum triggers, slide lightening, ambis, memory groove grip safeties, lightened hammers, bull barrels, aftecs, ramped barrels...I don't recall any of that being in Mr. Browning's M1911 blueprints.

Aside from that, yes remove it.

Edited by feederic

Usually by accident or stupidity, I have been guilty of both.

I run shock buffs in all my guns except one, where there is not enough room for one and the spring required to make it work. I have modified most to not be able to lock the slide open, so it is no issue to me.

If you think you need one use them, if you don't, then you don't.