Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

"Shooter ready?" or "Are you ready?"

dravz

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LAMR is not an official range command in USPSA. MR is. If you want to say LAMR, go to an IPSC match.

Yes, I know its not the official USPSA range command. I only use it for first match shooters. You know, trying to foster the new people a bit until they get into the swing. After that, it's all business.

An RO is someone who has taken the NROI class and passed the test. The guy with the timer is just a guy with a timer.

A "guy with a timer" can be just as on top of it as a certified RO. I know a few people that are "just guys with timers" that are very read-up on the rules, we just haven't been able to make it to a two-day class.

I am a friendly RO, but I am very serious about the range commands and the safety aspects of ROing.

So are the rest of us "just guys with timers".

Edited by PKT1106

A new shooter safety briefing, including the range commands and what they mean, goes a long way towards clearing up any confusion over what "Make Ready" means. I can, and have, done this in 5 minutes before a match.

I don't see a need to add any additional commands to our existing set--as several have mentioned here, the RO needs to verify that the range is indeed clear. Hollering something else as a warning is not required if the RO does his job. Once you have a "pre-MR" command, will you need a "pre-pre-MR" command? "Prepare to stand by?" or something like that?

Stick to the range commands, in English, without embellishment, and use your eyes to ensure the range is clear before starting. If you want to print them out and put them on the timer, do so. It encourages consistency, if nothing else, and may even provide some education.

Troy

Would a shooter be considered a d*ck if the RO incorrectly says "Shooter ready? Give me a nod if you are ready." and the shooter nods, but deliberately does not react to the start signal?

IMO, he'd be a d*ck when he bitches about being on the clock while waiting for the official commands.

So at the end of the stage if the RO says to me "empty, hammer, lights, holster" instead of "If you're finished unload and show clear" then "If clear, hammer down and holster" and I put my mag back in and reengage the whole stage, no DQ ;)

~Mitch

So at the end of the stage if the RO says to me "empty, hammer, lights, holster" instead of "If you're finished unload and show clear" then "If clear, hammer down and holster" and I put my mag back in and reengage the whole stage, no DQ ;)

~Mitch

It wouldn't be a DQ anyway, because you WERENT finished yet! :)

BUT... What is 'lights'??

~Mitch

It wouldn't be a DQ anyway, because you WERENT finished yet! :)

BUT... What is 'lights'??

'lights' for open shooter to turn dot off.

~Mitch

If you're not finished, you're not finished.

~Mitch

Not true. I think what he was getting at was this:

8.3.7 “If Clear, Hammer Down, Holster” – After issuance of this command,

the competitor is prohibited from firing (see Rule 10.4.3).

~Mitch

Not true. I think what he was getting at was this:

8.3.7 If Clear, Hammer Down, Holster After issuance of this command,

the competitor is prohibited from firing (see Rule 10.4.3).

Right. He was never asked if he was finished. And the nonsense Mitch is passing is a FAR CRY from "shooter ready" and/or "give a nod if your ready" or any of the other close, but incorrect USPSA commands.

Edited by remoandiris

Would a shooter be considered a d*ck if the RO incorrectly says "Shooter ready? Give me a nod if you are ready." and the shooter nods, but deliberately does not react to the start signal?

IMO, he'd be a d*ck when he bitches about being on the clock while waiting for the official commands.

I think a rereading of 8.3.4 is in order...

"if a competitor fails to react to a start signal, for any reason..."

I think everyone can agree that the commands given need to match the rulebook so everyone has the same experience. However, if I know I am running a brand new shooter (first match shooter), I will help them a bit more with the commands and add a few in to make sure they know what they need to do. I will ask if they understand the COF and if it is a face uprange start position, I will say to face downrange to LAMR. After their first match, I tell them to make sure they know all the rules.

Does this strictly follow the rules? No, but, like a puppy, you have to train them slow and give reminders at first. I think it helps and make them feel like someone is looking out for them until they get into the sport a bit more.

How does giving incorrect range commands help a new shooter? All shooters shoud be given the same commands, that's why they are in the rule book. If you want to coach a shooter or help them, I think that's great, but when it's time to start the COF, stick to the range commands to avoid ny confusion on the next stage with a different RO.

I think a rereading of 8.3.4 is in order...

"if a competitor fails to react to a start signal, for any reason..."

Then the competitor mentions 8.3.2 and throws up the old "but you didn't use the correct commands, so how am I supposed to know that is the correct start signal" or some such nonsense. So what do you do if you don't know the propoer commands? A non-sanctioned match is one option. Learn the correct commands is another. And likely easier.

Edited by remoandiris

8.3.2 “Are You Ready?” if you were playing IDPA the command is "Shooter Ready"

Thank you...that is where I picked up the "shooter ready" from. Even though I don't compete in IDPA anymore the shooter ready and slide forward came from there.

We also have a private club that shoots Man v Man Pins and another club that shoots non-uspsa steel, all using other commands.

Interesting.

How does giving incorrect range commands help a new shooter? All shooters shoud be given the same commands, that's why they are in the rule book. If you want to coach a shooter or help them, I think that's great, but when it's time to start the COF, stick to the range commands to avoid ny confusion on the next stage with a different RO.

It's not giving them incorrect commands, its giving them more direction on top of the official commands to help them a little more. I don't want a new shooter with an uprange start to pull their gun to load while facing me. I want to walk them through it the first time so they know to face downrange when making ready. I think that is coaching as well.

It's not giving them incorrect commands, its giving them more direction on top of the official commands to help them a little more. I don't want a new shooter with an uprange start to pull their gun to load while facing me. I want to walk them through it the first time so they know to face downrange when making ready. I think that is coaching as well.

The first time a new shooter hears the range commands should not be on the stage. Clubs need to hold a new shooter orientation before the match, 15 minutes to cover the basics, included the range commands and what to expect on a stage.

What if you are not their next ro, and they follow the rules and just use the range commands?

Don't add to the commands, don't take away from the commands. I hate when at the end an ro rushes thru the "if clear, hammer down, and holster"

Follow the commands, no more, no less and you won't have any problems

only on benos could a simple thing as using the right range commands make it 3 pages :wacko:

This is NOT the dopiest thread ever to grace this fine forum.

:roflol:

can't use the popcorn eating emoticon in fear of contracting pop corn lung :devil:

I'm not going to read 3 pages. If you can't be bothered to learn and use the CURRENT range commands, please don't take the clock - it's really that simple. :angry2:

Please come to Florida. The one CRO who shoots at my range and I can't run all shooters by ourselves.