Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New to Clays

hitman_usmc

On Thursday, September 13, 2012 at 11:27 PM, hitman_usmc said:

Ok, I've been shooting ipsc, 3gun, and precision rifle matches for a while and starting to have an interest in clays (mainly 5 stand or sporting clays). When I was a kid living in the south for a short time I used to bird hunt and shoot clays with one of those wal-mart throwers and an old 870 wingmaster. That's about the extent of shotgunning that I have. I've been trying to read as much as possible on various clays/shotgun forums. I shot a few clays with my 3gun benelli, Just enough to know I definitely like shooting clays. Now some buddies from work are picking up hunting and doing a little clay shooting as well. This is where the question really comes in.

I've got my eye on a Browning Citori 725 30" (maybe adjustable cheek, maybe not?). I mainly want to shoot sporting clays, but I'm also planning on joining my friends on a few hunting trips. I see the 725 also comes in a Field model. I know the barrels are shorter, but that's about it. What are the big differences with the field and sporting clays models? If a plan to do both (hunt and shoot clays) can I get away with just getting one of the two models? Do I really need two different guns?

I think sporting models weigh more

also have center bead

safety doesn't go on automatically

I was pheasant hunting yesterday and gun was getting heavy after the 6th mile

• 1 month later...

According to me, Benelli is a good shotgun for clay shooting. Its range is good for hunting as well as shooting. You can shoot very easily with this shotgun. Remember that you will shoot 100+ rounds and may be 10 fires in the field per trip.