Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need help picking new sights for a 627

jeremy kemlo

I have a 627 5 inch that I will be using for icore. I want to change the sights. I am thinking of going with a SMD red fiber front sight. On the rear I was looking at going with a Weigand.

The fiber on the SMD looks to be very long. Is that going to make the front sight too bright on a sunny California day?(anyone have experience with this sight.)

I don't know if I should go with the .125 or the .140 Weigand rear blade. I want a sight that will be fast but I still want to be able to shoot the x ring on the 50 yard targets on the far and near standards. :rolleyes: (I think the factory rear blade has to narrow of a rear notch)

Thanks

jeremy, if it can be found look into the Ghostring rear sight. You are close enought to Apex Tactical to Pick Randy's or Scott's brain on the idea. It has been used before by Petit in ICORE.

A shooting buddy turned me on to Hi-Viz fibre optic front sights. He claimed they were brighter than many of the others. I agree.

I have never heard of a fibre optic sight being too bright.

Not to be argumentative, but, if you have ever tried to line up a long shot with a fiber optic in bright sunlight you will have difficulty finding the corners of your front sight and wish it were dimmer (or not there at all)

And that is my objection to the Hi-Viz I have on my 25-2....no real upper corners to find

Edited by underlug

1347552656[/url]' post='1778741']

I have a 627 5 inch that I will be using for icore. I want to change the sights. I am thinking of going with a SMD red fiber front sight. On the rear I was looking at going with a Weigand.

The fiber on the SMD looks to be very long. Is that going to make the front sight too bright on a sunny California day?(anyone have experience with this sight.)

I don't know if I should go with the .125 or the .140 Weigand rear blade. I want a sight that will be fast but I still want to be able to shoot the x ring on the 50 yard targets on the far and near standards. :rolleyes: (I think the factory rear blade has to narrow of a rear notch)

Thanks

Jeremy,

I have a 5 inch 625 set up with Warren Moore's (Toolguy on this forum) fiber optic that causes no problems at 50 yards in bright sun. The front fiber is .04 diameter green. The front sight width is .100 and the rear sight notch is .125. I really like this setup. For me, a deeper rear notch is more useful than a wider rear sight. I replaced a weigh rear with Warren's sight.

I do not care for the .06 inch diameter fiber rods offered in some sights. They can be too bright and obscure the top corners of your front sight blade.

Hope this helps

- john

Just a thought.... but RE: too bright a front fiber optic.... a quick pass over the exposed upper portion with black spray paint will reduce the amount of light it can grab, and mute the brightness it shows you. It's something you have to play with to get right, but if the sight's too bright this will help.

On rear sights, I love the Bowen Rough Country sights on my Ruger GP-100s. It's not click adjustable. It uses opposing screw tension, and once it's set, it stays there. I've had factory Ruger and S&W click adjustable rear sights 'bounce' on me due to weak springs (the Ruger rear sight is famous for this)... but the Bowen stays put and I love the sight picture.

Try LPA rear sight with SDM fiber optic 0.300

Great combination

How deep and wide is the LPA rear sight compared to the stock S&W rear sight? I have the Apex rear insert on mine but would really like something deeper and wider.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkh

Edited by CoGT3

The LPA rear is 0.390 high and 0.860" wide

On my 686 SSR to work fine with 0.300 SDM front sight (with 158 grs bullet) I erase the rear about 0,060"

If you want there is also the LPA front sight..fine the construction, but I notice a problem..

The hole of the interchangable sight on new S&W was exactlay 0.125 wide and LPA do it 0.120

Probably they do that to have no problem in installation, but the sight can move lightly from left or right.

The SDM is pefectly cutted 0.125 and go inside without possibility of movement (I can put inside it only after wet with a drop of oil)

I was just at Apex and Scott said that they would cut the rear sight deeper and wider if you wanted it that way.

So no one Has used the Weigand rear sight?

I have a .140 that I keep on one gun. I like it. I just went to LPAs and never looked back.

Some people get upset because you can wiggle the rear blade back and forth but it has never been an issue when I shot it. Good product.

Ain't Apex great to deal with? I owe Randy so much............

Edited by underlug

I was just at Apex and Scott said that they would cut the rear sight deeper and wider if you wanted it that way.

So no one Has used the Weigand rear sight?

Weigand rear blade is fine when first installed (correctly) but as time goes on & the sight is bumped, the blade becomes floppy/sloppy. LPA is a much better option & a very similar/same sight picture to Weigand.

I think the rear notch on the LPA sight is less than .125. It's been some time but when I looked in to it I seem to recall they didn't have a .140 rear notch option. Not to make my post an ad, but I have 2 Weigand rear sights (.140 notch) I want to sell (cheap) if anyone is interested.