Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Do you shoot better in Practice than at Matches?

Steve Anderson

If you tend to shoot better in practice than you do in matches, that is almost always a self image problem. You will only ever shoot as well as you EXPECT to shoot, not how you want to shoot.

Further, do you get extremely nervous before a match, particularly the first stage? Do you calm down and relax after you make a mistake? Again, this is a self image problem.

Now, What is a self-image, why is it important, and how do you improve it?

Your self image is you. It's how you see yourself as a shooter. It's made up of every thought you've ever had about shooting. Are you great on paper and shitty at steel? Hello, self image. Nice to meet ya mister self fulfilling prophecy!

So let's do two things right away. First, anytime you have anxiety about shooting, insert a predetermined affirmation. It can be anything positive, but it must be TRUE. Your mind won't tolerate a lie. It knows you too well.

When I returned to shooting after 5 years of ruining my life over a girl, I was very nervous and afraid. I shot very timidly because that was HOW I EXPECTED TO SHOOT. And then one day I remembered something:

I'm a GM. This is what I do.

So I inserted that into my stupid brain every time I had anxiety and began shooting much better. And guess what happens when you shoot better... Your self image improves.

For a developing shooter, I like this: I'm getting better every day.

That phrase is positive, but it doesn't reek of bullshit. It's something the brain will believe.

The second thing you need to do (You thought I forgot about number 2? I never forget number 2) is CELEBRATE THE POSITIVE.

Anytime you have a great performance, celebrate it inside. Don't project it outward too much, but do a little happy dance in your self-image:

I'm the king of steel, I'm the king of IP SiCk,

Nobody can beat me, but you can... buy me a beer later.

Now get to work.

Great advice Steve... thanks for sharing that. I've been n a self doubt mood lately so this helps. Sometime the self-image is like a roller coaster too. I play tennis as well... and it can come and go. You can feel like you are doing quite well and then it can slip away causing doubt. Same in shooting for sure. At one of my last big matches I shot my best stage of the match... I was feeling good.... only to bomb the very next one.

I'm going to work on this hard in the upcoming year for sure.

So I inserted that into my stupid brain every time I had anxiety and began shooting much better. And guess what happens when you shoot better... Your self image improves.

That phrase is positive, but it doesn't reek of bullshit. It's something the brain will believe.

Anytime you have a great performance, celebrate it inside. Don't project it outward too much, but do a little happy dance in your self-image:

I'm the king of steel, I'm the king of IP SiCk,

Nobody can beat me,

Edited by DrawandDuck

Funnyn thing how women can ruin men so easily. So much for us being the stronger sex.

Personally I see it as a man "allowing" a woman to ruin their lives but thats just the way I look at it.

Great.advice. Mental game is huge.

For instance don't tell yourself "don't forget that hidden target", tell yourself "get that hidden target" instead.

I also think there are other things. Know when to laugh. It's frustrating when things go wrong.. but what's worse for you? Throwing a tantrum or laughing at what you did wrong? It's not that it's funny or you don't care.. but being positive about it. Negative responses and behaviors are... well.... negative. I try to eliminate them.

I frequently suck at the matches I run, on the stages I designed and built the day before, I know that. I can be scattered at my own matches. Going to other matches is a sweet relief, I can focus on the stage and rehearse my run instead of sorting score sheets, finding fault or evaluating others busily finding fault. I still have fun shooting, which is paramount to me.

Yes, Draw and Duck.

Exactly like that.

The King of the Range has nothing to fear.

SA

OK if anyone sees me at TN State running around yelling "I am the greatest" while I am enganging targets just blame Steve!! :roflol:

THis is going to go ever like a ton of bricks at IDPA tomorrow...."I AM THE GREATEST!" :cheers:

• 3 weeks later...

What is your mindset going into a match and during the match.(before shooting a stage)

Focused?

Calm?

Care-free?

Prepared?

Nothing?

Anytime a trace of doubt or anxiety shows up, I remind myself:

I am here to call every shot.

If we don't do that at the match, we'll never know how good we are.