Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which grip strengthener?

scout308

Thanks guys. Id never heard of the powerball. Just started a regime of free weights, cardio and looking at COC for grip strength

If you are using free weights, you really do not need to use any of those gadgets.

Start incorporating HEAVY ASS DEADLIFTS into your work out. Your grip, forearm, and back strength will all sky rocket in due time.

Don't use any assistance straps for your deadlifts, either. Just cheating yourself out of grip strength gains.

Thanks guys. Id never heard of the powerball. Just started a regime of free weights, cardio and looking at COC for grip strength

If you are using free weights, you really do not need to use any of those gadgets.

Start incorporating HEAVY ASS DEADLIFTS into your work out. Your grip, forearm, and back strength will all sky rocket in due time.

Don't use any assistance straps for your deadlifts, either. Just cheating yourself out of grip strength gains.

This. Holding onto heavy weights while you lift them will strengthen your grip. I am a big fan of excercises that work multiple muscle groups (these are called "compound lifts"). Deadlifts, pull-ups, inverted rows... all will benefit your grip strength as well as other muscle groups.

• 1 month later...

CoC is good. I use the Trainer and #1 grippers for the workout and the higher ones for testing my maximum grip strength. My current work out is 4 sets of 25 reps using the Trainer, on each hand alternating sets between hands (Set 1 Right hand, Set 1 Left hand, Set 2 Right hand, Set 2 Left hand, etc). Then use the #1 to hold closed for 30 seconds on each hand. Doing this workout without taking breaks between sets or reps is a pretty challenging workout.

I do this workout 2 - 3 times a week and it only takes a few minutes to complete but produces great results in increasing overall grip strength.

CoC is good. I use the Trainer and #1 grippers for the workout and the higher ones for testing my maximum grip strength. My current work out is 4 sets of 25 reps using the Trainer, on each hand alternating sets between hands (Set 1 Right hand, Set 1 Left hand, Set 2 Right hand, Set 2 Left hand, etc). Then use the #1 to hold closed for 30 seconds on each hand. Doing this workout without taking breaks between sets or reps is a pretty challenging workout.

I do this workout 2 - 3 times a week and it only takes a few minutes to complete but produces great results in increasing overall grip strength.

I tried the work out, pretty good thanks. I need to get the #1.5 gripper from Manny. The jump from #1 to the #2 is pretty steep for me.

For COC users, which one should a guy start with?

The Trainer and #1 are all you need to greatly improve your grip strength. I have been using these two for my workouts and the higher ones to gauge my results. Right now I can close the 2.5 with both hands. When I first started the workout I could barely close the #2 with my strong hand and couldn't close the #2 with my weak hand.

I picked up a COC #1 and it made a huge difference in my recoil control. Had an injury, had to stop using the gym and COC for a few weeks, and feel like I am back to square one. Looking forward to using it again! It helped make my major splits faster, and on video my minor shooting finally seemed to flatten out where the gun comes straight back rather than up.

• 2 weeks later...

Or you could always get a job as a line mechanic. (My grip was never stonger than when I turned wrenches all day long.)

be

My uncle was a transmission mechanic for years. I used to help him every once in a while and my foreams were usually burning the next day.

Going off of this point, I just picked up some fat grip adapters for my dumbbells. These bumped my grip up to 2". After my workout yesterday, my hands and forearms were completely burnt and my vascularity was out of control (AND THIS WAS ON SHOULDERS DAY!!!) I expect that incorporating these into all of my workouts is going to result in HUGE gains in grip strength. I will say that I had to use straps to finish out my shrug sets though. My hands were so exhausted that I was only getting through 3-5 reps before I was barely pinching the dumbbells to stay in my hands.

Strongest grip you can get is massaging teats.

70 holstiens 3 times a day. By hand (no pneumatics)

If you ever run across an old time dairy farmer who milked by hand, DO NOT shake his hand. It's that strong. And unlike deadlifts, each finger is worked individually do you do not end up with locked tendon fingers. Trust me, working dairy cattle will make your grip unbearable to others, including arm wrestlers.

Next strongest, if you want to try something new is making bread. Ya, I know what it sounds like, but try making 3 batches of bread a week. No breadmaker or mixer with a dough hook either.

Lol, I make 2 batches of bread a week (no more holstiens) and you will have an iron grip and killer forearms in 2 months. No Lie.

• 6 months later...

About a year ago I got my CoC grippers and trained with them a lot. I overtrained and had a lot of pain on the outer forearm up near the elbow.

That injury has healed and I'm back to training with them. I'm paying more attention to nutrition -- lots of raw veggies, multivitamins, fish oil. I eat plenty of meat and eggs to get complete proteins. Some people who think they're eating healthy make a big mistake in starving themselves of protein. Probably not the case with most shooters; I think we tend to be meat eaters.

Edited by GunBugBit

• 1 month later...

Bucket of Sand or Bucket of Rice ( have a 5gal bucket gamma lid and playground sand from Home depot )

Vanderbilt uses it for hand therapy and the Baseball team Pitching staff

Bucket of Sand

The muscles that open your hands are as important as the muscles that close them. This exercise works your hand opening and closing muscles simultaneously. If you want a short but effective total-hand workout, this exercise provides plenty of bang for your buck. Fill a bucket with playground-grade sand. With your fingers extended and held rigid, plunge your hand into the sand as deeply as possible. Close your hand and try to grab as much sand as possible, then without withdrawing your hand, open your fingers as wide as you can. Continue opening and closing your hand until your muscles become fatigued. Swap hands and repeat.

Also can use said "Jar O' Dirt" as an upper body workout, think rigid sandbag

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I treat grip training just like every other body part. I do a set routine with reps and sets twice a week usually on arm day. I also use something called Fat Grips during most of my weight lifting. It's a grip that goes over the bar and doubles it's thickness. Studies show it significantly increases grip strength over smaller diameter grips. You can get them from Bodybuilding.com Also forearms. triceps, shoulders, upper back and core strength is used when presenting and controlling a weapon.

Here's everything I use.

IMG_20130801_073220_810_zps607ae098.jpg

The bar with the rope and weight is a wrist roller, which kills the forearms. You hang the weight from the rope and roll up then down, do that over hand and under hand. The blue things are the fat grips. The finger exercisers are medium and heavy. The hand exercisers are by a company called Heavy Grip and go from 100lbs to 350lbs in 50lb inciments (one's in my gym bag). The circle thing is for forearms and also works really well. I also do wrist curls (without the fat grips) under hand and over hand.

Edited by DDustin