Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need Sanity Check on .40 S&W Load Data

BenW

I am writing for a sanity check on a load data my friend gave me.

Bullet: Bear Creek .40 S&W 180 gr Moly Coated

Gunpowder: 4.4 grains of Winchester WST

Primer: Federal Small Pistol

OAL: 1.185"

Gun barrel: 5.0"

The main concern being that 4.4 grains of WST seems like a lot of gunpowder. Historically, I have run 3.7 grains of WST for 1.185" OAL with 200 grain Bear Creek bullets and 3.9 grains of WST for 1.200" OAL with 200 grain Bear Creek bullets. The sudden jump to 4.4 grains of WST concerns me. Does this sound right to you guys?

I run 4.6 grains of WST with a 180 gr plated bullet. 4.5 grains with moly coated. I get a about 172 PF with a 5" STI. And the length I run is 1.170". You should be fine. Drop it a couple tenths and test some bullets first if you are worried. You shouldn't be anywhere near the danger zone at 4.4 grains though.

This is why I don't use WST. 4.3grn is the max load per manual with a 180grn jacketed round at 1.125". You switch to a plated or moly bullet and in theory the max load should decrease by ~8-10%. Do lots of folks run WST beyond spec? Yes. Does it KB? Not so much because the OAL has usually been extended. Reading primers is like reading tea leaves. Unless you want to get a pressure barrel and get actual data, then stay within the lines that the manufactures have laid out.