Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

InLine Fabricate upgrade for Dillon Square Deal B

Bottom line up front: I recently purchased an Ultra Mount and Roller Handle for my DillonSquare Deal Press. Overall impressionsare exceptionally favorable for both. Compared to the Dillon standard Strong Mount, it is much more stable andheavy duty. The machine work isexcellent – no sharp edges anywhere, assembly bolts are countersunk socket headscrews, and the powder coat is flawless. All very nice touches.

The roller handle is a worthy upgrade to the SDB press. It allows me to more naturally positionmyself to operate the press, and the roller feature does actually reduce somefatigue during the loading cycle. Again,machining is flawless and function is perfect.

The bullet bin and empty case bin combination are aninnovative solution to one of my biggest complaints about the SDB. I can now have all the components on thepress within easy reach. This is notpossible with standard Dillon parts (yes, you can mount a bullet tray to theStrong Mount, but that doesn't solve the empty case problem. Dan's solution is simple, elegant, andinexpensive – all attributes that I value.

Overall, I am glad that I bought this upgrade. It is high quality and heavy duty. If you need a mount or an upgrade, take alook at Dan's web site http://www.inlinefabrication.com/ He has a host of great ideas brought to life,including press lighting that is on my wish list. I am very pleased with the quality of hiswork and his great communication.

Now I have an extra Dillon Strong Mount for an SDB thatneeds a new home.

Details and photos in subsequent posts.

Obligatory disclaimers: I have no financial connection with InLine Fabrication. My photography is about like my pistolshooting – muddling thru as a sharpshooter with much room for improvement. This review is broken into multiple postsbecause that's the only way I know to post the pix.

So, here's what I started with. A standard SDB press sitting on a strongmount. You can see the exposed boltheads, etc. Anyone who has used an SDBknows the drawbacks of the center-mounted operating handle. As mentioned above, there's no place on thepress for bullets and empty cases. Yes –I could have bought a bullet tray from Dillon to solve half the problem. That worked fine for my 550, but I was looking for something different, ideally something that would work better.

post-7853-0-82292900-1347335515_thumb.jp post-7853-0-15466600-1347335541_thumb.jp

The postman delivered the box from Dan @ InLineFabrication. Opening the box, I found every part to be carefully wrapped in a padded shipping paper. Not a scratch on the flawless powder coating.

I assembled the mount without incident. It's pretty straightforward. The countersunk assembly screws are a nicetouch; – one less thing to bump or bang against. The cutout portions of the press also made it very easy to mount the SDB later. Nice touch, and stylish too.

Compared to the strong mount, the footprint of this mount is about 1.5 inches longer. The metal is 1/16 inch thicker (3/16" v. 1/8" for the strong mount). This makes a pretty big difference in stability since I just clamp it to my WorkMate and start loading. Another nice feature.

post-7853-0-65327900-1347335705_thumb.jp side view of mount

post-7853-0-28771100-1347335721_thumb.jp top view of mount

Next I assembled the case bin support. Bullets on the left, empty brass on theright. Simple, elegant, andinexpensive. Right up my alley.

Dan designed this – and several other options for me – overthe course of several email exchanges. He build prototypes and emailed pictures as we worked through it. All ofthe options were great, and some probably better than the one I selected. This is what works for me; he has otheroptions available.

post-7853-0-11556500-1347335961_thumb.jp view of the case bin attachment

post-7853-0-75523700-1347335976_thumb.jp post-7853-0-05414600-1347335993_thumb.jp couple of shots of the completed mount

Next I assembled the case bin support. Bullets on the left, empty brass on theright. Simple, elegant, andinexpensive. Right up my alley.

Dan designed this – and several other options for me – overthe course of several email exchanges. He build prototypes and emailed pictures as we worked through it. All ofthe options were great, and some probably better than the one I selected. This is what works for me; he has otheroptions available.

post-7853-0-25386200-1347336112_thumb.jp post-7853-0-44911600-1347336124_thumb.jp couple of shots of the complete set up with ultramount, case bins, and roller handle

post-7853-0-35504800-1347336139_thumb.jp close up of a very neat and functional roller handle upgrade

That is an excellent setup and great looking products! I've been spoiled by my XL650 and then Super 1050, but would have probably kept my SDB if these products had been around back then. It looks like this company is providing options that allow the use of a very reasonable press while still having some of the bells and whistles of the higher priced models.

1347408943[/url]' post='1777658']

Should I steal your thunder and post my inlinefabrication 650 setup? :devil:

I think I got the first one.

Absolutely!

I wish I had know about his stuff long ago. I am waiting for a new light upgrade from Dan. It should be ready in a couple weeks. It will be much better than what I am using now.

- john

• 3 weeks later...