Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

S1050 Aluminim Roller Handle

I bought the aluminum roller handle for my S1050. I was able to remove the plastic handle easily enough with my snap ring pliers and than used two Snap-On "picks" like chopsticks and was able to secure the snap ring onto the handle shaft to secure the blue handle. My first try must have been lucky because it worked pretty well.

The snap ring just came off my handle. It looks like my chopsticks method may have stressed the spring sligtly and it did not hold through my recent 30-06 sizing session.

I have some new snap rings coming. Anyone put the anodized aluminum handle on their S1050 and have a good source for an extendo set of snap ring pliers or some other means to secure the snap ring?

Edited by pmclaine

Thanks for the link, the plastic handle is the only thing I don't care for on the 1050

Same thing here. I tried it for a while after getting my 1050 (had the aluminum on the 650) and just couldn't bring myself to like it. It's amazing how much different the press/handle feels after making the change.

I took my 1050 handle down to my local hardware store. The guy there replaced my handle with the roller handle in about 30 seconds. No charge of course. Try and get that service at HD or Lowes.

What did they use to do it? I just happened to run into the Snap On truck operator the other day and he didnt think there was a snap ring set in his catalog that would work.

I like the idea of the wired on extensions. I may try that. It would be good to get something that will work pretty steady. I like to grease the handle to keep the squeeks out of the operation.

I took my 1050 handle down to my local hardware store. The guy there replaced my handle with the roller handle in about 30 seconds. No charge of course. Try and get that service at HD or Lowes.

What did they use to do it? I just happened to run into the Snap On truck operator the other day and he didnt think there was a snap ring set in his catalog that would work.

I like the idea of the wired on extensions. I may try that. It would be good to get something that will work pretty steady. I like to grease the handle to keep the squeeks out of the operation.

It was a full-service hardward store and they had a very small snap ring pliers in the shop that fit. At first they wanted to sell me some but nothing they had on the wall would work.

+1 on greasing the handle - squeeks bad otherwise.

It was a full-service hardward store and they had a very small snap ring pliers in the shop that fit. At first they wanted to sell me some but nothing they had on the wall would work.

+1 on greasing the handle - squeeks bad otherwise.

I have a full set of Snap On snap ring pliers. The problem is that the points are not long enough to reach the bottom interior of the handle. I asked the Snap On guy if they made anything with extended points and what they do have becomes wide too rapidly to fit the narrow confines of the handle. Thats why the wired on points of the very helpful earlier poster appear to be the solution.

So sad that once again I find myself trying to compensate for a defficiency in length, unfortunately the purchase of a gun or motorcycle part will prove no remedy in this case.

• 3 weeks later...

For my first 1050 handle switch I went to a friend that runs a boom/water/crane truck shop. They had drawers full of snap ring pliers. None seemed to fit. We used dental picks and ruined the ring, but got it off. For my next 1050 I ran to harbor freight. I got a set of pliers from them item 03316 Pittsburgh snap ring pliers with interchangeable heads. They didn't fit either. But I took a set of the extra heads and ground them down on a bench grinder until they fit. I was able to pull off the ring and put it back on with out damaging it using this method. The pliers cost $2, so I wasn't too worried about taking them to the bench grinder.

I used the second set of posts to put the head on the pliers so I could reach into the handle easier.

post-20971-0-02546700-1349128186_thumb.j

post-20971-0-10521700-1349128203_thumb.j

Edited by nwsnowbum

These look like they may be perfect. At $20 not much risk. I may have to break out the CC tomorrow.

Thank you all for your replies. I appreciate your time. There is a lot of creativity amongst the reloader community.

Edited by pmclaine

These look like they may be perfect. At $20 not much risk. I may have to break out the CC tomorrow.

Thank you all for your replies. I appreciate your time. There is a lot of creativity amongst the reloader community.

Please do let us know if it works. I like the grinding solution but I don't have a grinder. Thank you.

Please do let us know if it works. I like the grinding solution but I don't have a grinder. Thank you.

They have been ordered. I will certainly get back to everyone. I like being able to jury rig stuff if need be but if there is a ready made solution at $20 thats not a bad investment. Thank you for sharing ypour find. Now stop shopping on Amazon and go to Brians store and buy something nice.

Norbs007 You are the Google guru. The pliers arrived today. If they had blue handles on them I would think they were designed by Mike Dillon specifically to perform aluminum roller handle installation.

Thank you for sharing your Googlefu.

Phil M

So sad that once again I find myself trying to compensate for a defficiency in length, unfortunately the purchase of a gun or motorcycle part will prove no remedy in this case.

I don't care who you are that's funny right there...