Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooters name sticker on a Production gun slide

Skydiver

Today I saw a Production shooter with stickers on their slide with their name on it. Does this fall under the refinishing rule and is for cosmetic purposes only? (Appendix D4.21.2a)

To me it didn't provide any competitive advantage and was purely for cosmetic purposes, so I said nothing. I figured I would ask here since some of you may have seen a wider variety of legal stuff done to a slide for a Production gun.

If it was a sticker on the slide, then I would say not legal per production rules. Clearly not a competitive advantage, but one could argue that you can't put grip tape on the slide, so you probably can't put any form of sticker on the slide, even if it just had your name on it. If it was a name written within the finish on the slide then yes, that would be legal. Check out Corey Estill's production guns. Bad ass Cerakote finish with graphics on them. They are legal because its the finish, not just a sticker.

Oh man... That's the kind of stupid thing that I'd be tempted to do it at a major match and defy them to say anything about it, then arbitrate it knowing I'd lose, and then make such a public spectacle about it that the BoD would HAVE to change this. That's happened before. There was such a brouhaha in 2003 over Sharon Zaffiro getting bumped to open from production (or maybe it was L10) because she LAMR'ed with an 11 round magazine (stuff, rack-rack, holster, you now have a division-legal 10-round mag in the gun and 1 in the spout, and you've saved time juggling 2 mags), that they changed the rule.

Seems pretty cut and dry to me. Its cosmetic. Realistically, ANY finish applied to a gun has some inherent thickness to it. Duracoat, hard chrome, etc all cover the slide. With that in mind, the only thing differentiating a finish from a grip enhancement is the suitability of the addition for use as such. Since a smooth sticker is clearly not an effective grip-ing aid, I'd say that a sticker falls under the same area as "finish", and serves only cosmetic purposes.

I'm not saying this is the case, but what if the sticker was covering markings such as "M&P 40 Pro", but the shooter had a 9 conversion barrel in it? That is the only reason I can think why someone would put a sticker on the slide, other than being goofy.

I'm not saying this is the case, but what if the sticker was covering markings such as "M&P 40 Pro", but the shooter had a 9 conversion barrel in it? That is the only reason I can think why someone would put a sticker on the slide, other than being goofy.

I'm thinking most 40 to 9 conversion bbls will look different at the business end of the gun?

The OP said stickers (PLURAL) but did not mention if they were both on the same side. I would consider 1 on each side to be changing the slide finish to provide better grip. After all Production rules are based on the premise of -- if it is nor specificallly authorixed then it is illegal. No one forces a shooter to shoot Production but if you do then learn to play by ALL the rules.

In other sports they are called referees or umpires but their job is the same as ours and it is to know and enforce rules. My vote a trip to Open.

I don't get why there seems to be a need to bump every production division shooter to open? It's a sticker. Someone wants to put their name on their gun. Some likes a football team. racing stripe or flames, whatever makes them happy. Cosmetic is ok, if he wants to paint the pistol pink, go for it.

The OP said stickers (PLURAL) but did not mention if they were both on the same side. I would consider 1 on each side to be changing the slide finish to provide better grip.

Good point... stickers were on both sides.

Out of curiosity... if the stickers happened to cover the cocking serrations, and there by providing less grip, would that be a competitive advantage?

BTW, changing the slide finish is legal and specifically authorized:

D4 21.2a Slide - refinishing

Per existing NROI ruling, cosmetically enhancing the finish of a slide is already ALLOWED in Production Division, provided that the finish provides no competitive advantage.

With Production it is not as much a matter of gaining a significant or any other kind of advantage as it is a violation of the purist value of rules. I lost all respect for the intent or what ever they want to call it when I heard it was a violation of the rules to paint the inside of the magwell. Perhaps one of the most inane things to call that a significant advantage. The horse/cow is long gone out of the barn. And anything else I say about it is going to turn this into a rant which is why I only show up every other week or so.

most pictures of events are taken from the side of the shooter, so a sticker would be an easy and arguably more effective way to promote your name than a jersey with the name on the back.

ok a sticker is illegal because its a "grip aid" would cost you all of $20 to take your slide to someone with a laser and have them mark the finish with your name