Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

NRA high power

czambesi

you should be able to, but you will be at a big disadvantage with your setup. the rules require a A2 version for the DCM service rifle class. you will probably have to be in the "match" catagory. you will need to get a good sling for the 200 yard sitting, 300 rapid prone and the 600 yard slow fire. Find a local high power shooter and have them teach you how to use a sling properly.

Edited by JohnRodriguez

Chris, you can certainly run your rig in an NRA match, but like John said, you'd have to enter as a Match Rifle, not Service Rifle. SR requires a fixed stock (A1 or A2 are fine) and different sights. A 20" barrel is required as well.

I won't go into all the mechanical necessities like float tubes, slings, triggers, et al for a competitive outfit but no Match Directors are going to turn you away if you bring a legal, safe rifle to the line. Be prepared to drown in all the coaching and help you'll get.

Cheers!

Mark

one thing as a novice shooter, is you'll be squaded with a group of master class shooter. it's a group of 3 per shooting lane. 1 shooter, 1 spotter/scorer and 1 person in the pits. NRA has always done this to help the new shoots get good advise to continue shooting in their sport.

One mistake you will not want to make while you are scoring for the 200 yard sitting and the 300 yard prone is to not be looking down the scope while the acutal shooting for score is going one. you and the shooter can be penilized for it. you can do it during the 2 sighting shots to help steer the shooter onto the target if its windy conditions. as a scorer, your job is to make sure that only 10 shots are fired per sting, and to get the score when the target comes back up.

make sure you take 20 rnd mag, as the 30 rounders are not allowed. take a set of thick elbow pads alone with good shooting mat. you'll be amazed how the ground can get tru them during the 600 yard prone stage.

Thanks again for the info- will have to pick up some 20 rd mag since I only have 30+ ones. I have been shopping for a mat, have you tried any of the Midway USA logo ones? What did you think?

This is a 100yd range so they use the smaller targets instead of the distance.

Thanks again sir I will make sure I am looking thru the scope to score for the shooter. I normally run the palms when I shoot USPSA and run the score sheets for 3gun so hopefully that helps me some with this.

Actually the 30 round are legal but they dont work very well for the prone position. Also, make sure that your trigger is at least 4 1/2 pound pull.

Quoted from rule book.

U.S. Rifle, Caliber 5.56mm M-16 series - In all courses of fire and in all positions the standard 10, 20-

round or 30-round box magazine or a reduced capacity magazine of the same external dimensions will be

attached.

• 7 months later...

Sure! I've probably seen more M1s in the last ten years than M14s, ever since the Plastic Unmentionable became the preferred rig. Sorry, my bias is showing (went Distinguished long ago with the M14, recently with the .45). The "wood guns" don't win very often anymore, but they are a lot of fun to shoot.

Mark

I have been shopping for a mat, have you tried any of the Midway USA logo ones? What did you think?

I've tried both the larger and smaller versions and they are OK for the price and are frequently on sale (which is the only way I would get one). The only disadvantage is that they get very hot in the sun.

Creedmoor makes a white mat that says a lot cooler. It's more expensive but is still a reasonable price.

• 3 weeks later...

Go to the local clubs SAFS when they sponsor one. Its a great way to introduce yourself to the sport.

You WILL need a shooting coat unless you like sling palsy.

Randolph Constantine wrote a great book about Highpower shooting. Get it and read it.

You will see Garands, M-1As, AR-15s, Springfield '03s, and other rifles but predominately the field will use the AR-15 platform.

There are several restrictions on stocks and other modifications you can have to your rifle to shoot in the "service rifle" category which you must shoot in to collect points towards going distinguished.

All covered in Constantine's book.

Also I recommend Tubbs book Highpower Shooter.