Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

squading with friends or squading with stangers

ProGunGuy

I usually squad with my buddies. A couple of times though, our squad was over sized and i got kicked to another squad. Both times i seemed to do better. Maybe it because i did not have anyone to BS with and could concentrate on my shooting instead.

have you had a similar expereince? or you shoot the same no matter who you are squaded with.

Exact same experience here, and for the same reason too. When I am squadded with friends I don't visualize nearly enough, heck sometimes I come to the line still not having formulated a plan at all and just end up "shooting targets". I am definitely more of a social shooter, however I WANT to be a more serious competitor but I enjoy the sport and hanging out with friends more it seems haha.

I guess it depends on your friends. I have some friends that are serious competitors and they make me better. When I am with my friends that mess around, I don't do as well. The best I shoot is when I am squaded with my buddy who is master class in the same division I am in. I try really hard to shoot as well as him, and it is very rewarding when I can beat him on a stage.

I also find that SO'ing is very distracting. I am so focused on the shooters behavior, I sometimes forget to make a plan.

I guess it depends on your friends. I have some friends that are serious competitors and they make me better. When I am with my friends that mess around, I don't do as well. The best I shoot is when I am squaded with my buddy who is master class in the same division I am in. I try really hard to shoot as well as him, and it is very rewarding when I can beat him on a stage.

I also find that SO'ing is very distracting. I am so focused on the shooters behavior, I sometimes forget to make a plan.

Second that vote. Now that I SO it's all different. But before, I always found the "chatty Cathy" types distracting. Some talk is fine and expected and if it's about the stage we're on even better. But the guy who likes to relate the entire history of his firearms ownership or regale with "one time I was...." the whole time gets on my nerves. I like to have fun, but I like to be able to concentrate too. Tough not to come across as a jerk sometimes :(

To really gain a (long term) edge, volunteer to go first on every stage.

Very interesting. Care to expound? I would have thought seeing others run a stage first might reveal "aha" moments.

By going first it makes you look for those aha moments instead of just following becuase so and so did it.

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk 2

Very interesting. Care to expound? I would have thought seeing others run a stage first might reveal "aha" moments.

By going first it makes you look for those aha moments instead of just following becuase so and so did it.

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk 2

This

I was thinking more about building confidence and therefore reducing nervousness.

It will bolster your self image, and that is very important.

You will also get better at analyzing stages because you will have to work harder to do so.

It won't yield an immediate benefit, but it will FORCE you to become a better shooter over time.

I go to most matches alone. I know quite a few people, but don't shoot on squads with friends much. Even then I compete with a revolver and none of my friends do, so it does not effect my shooting much. Except that I can rib them when I beat them on a stage shooting revolver while they shoot an auto. :rolleyes:

I was thinking more about building confidence and therefore reducing nervousness.

You will also get better at analyzing stages because you will have to work harder to do so.

It won't yield an immediate benefit, but it will FORCE you to become a better shooter over time.

Were you listening to the conversation I had with a shooter at the last wednesday night match in Houston?? :D That is almost exactly what I told him after he said that he needs to be at least 3-4 shooters down.

thanks for that gem.

i'll do that.

Depends completely on the goal for the day. Are you there to have fun with your buds or are you there to focus, learn and win? Both are correct answers in my view, depending on the desired result.

Very few of us make a living shooting, most of us do this for the enjoyment of it. It's fun to improve and it's fun to shoot among friends. Pick one, but be clear about your goals.

Mark

Absolutely.

Level of Participation is very important.

I'm actually jealous of guys who can go out once a month and just shoot for fun. That's hard for me to do...

I'll never chide someone for not practicing (or taking it seriously) if they just want to have fun.

Excellent point.

I feel there is a fine line that you have to find between being loose and relaxed or extremely focused. I tend to shoot poorly if I swing to far one way or the other. I try to stay focused until I shoot a stage and then goof off till the last person has shot that stage. This way I am still having fun and not taking it to seriously. If your not having fun you need to quit.

If you're serious about improvement, squad with the best shooter in your club.

When I started competing I shot with Master level shooters from the start. It sure hurts your ego but you pick up a lot QUICK!

I usually squad w/ my friends, both at local matches and the big away matches.

Our crew is notoriously well organized and we all help out resetting the stage (to the point where RO's will compliment us on it). Makes things go a lot smoother, and that helps me concentrate on the shooting.

• 3 weeks later...

I have lots of friends I like to shoot with, but I always try to squad with a few people who shoot better than me. Most times that isn't an issue cause I'm not very good, but there had been a few times where I have ended up being the "big fish in a small squad" and those times I always seem to think I've done ok until I see the match scores later. It will invariably turn out that I might have led the squad, but I ranked several spots lower than I usually do when I shoot against my betters.

I like to squad with stangers whenever possible. You meet some really good people that way. While I do like shooting with friends, sometimes it can place an added stress on your match day if you duff a stage. My friends are the best critics really, but some days..... I just want to shoot without the 'why did you do that?' question afterwards.

Besides, we practice together, I see enough of their mugs on a regular basis. Most of them know this, and don't hold it against me, because it helps my mental game.

I only squad with friends when I am shooting a "fun" match. Typically we are then pushing as fast as possible and trying different approaches we would never typically attempt in a match. The majority of the time I am shooting to validate my training for the past couple of weeks. I always try to squad with the best shooters. I find that provided I don't throw out the fundamentals, they push me to shoot better than I thought I could.

Everybody is my friend! I don't care who I squad up with as long as there are squads. I go to several clubs locally and the closest one to my house is Rio Salado (which does not have an IDPA section, BTW) and they have a habit of not squadding up. I enjoy IDPA and USPSA at South Mountain because they squad up and that REALLY helps.