Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

IE window size (default)

Flexmoney

IE's window size on *my* computer is based on the last window of IE that I closed. So, if you want maximized, open up IE, maximize it, then close it. The next window you open, should be maximized. Just did it on my system to be sure and it works. What yours does is anybody's guess...

I'm not sure there's a permanent way to do what you want aside from opening up a dummy web-page that you've put code in to maximize the window.

I found that just maximizing it doesn't always work. What I do is open a new explore window by clicking on a link in the orginal window, resize it to the size you want, close the window.

Here is a discussion on it and another.

And yet another suggestion from one of the ms.com support forums:

Try the following workaround.

.. Open a single Internet Explorer window to the smaller size.

.. Drag the corners of the window until it completely fills the screen. Do not use the maximize button to enlarge the window.

.. Hold down the Ctrl key, keep it depressed, and using the mouse click File and then Exit on the menu bar. Do not use the "X" in the upper right corner to close the window.

.. Internet Explorer should now open in a full window.

.. If it still opens to a smaller size repeat the above instructions, substituting the "Shift" key for the "Ctrl" key.

WinXP - To prevent Internet Explorer from continually changing its size every time it is opened.  This is done by changing the Maximized key to yes.

Start>Run>Regedit

Locate this key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Document Windows.

Now modify the Maximized key to yes.

Note you can save the registry key first by:

On the File menu, click Export.

In the File name box, type SaveKey, and then click  Save.

Or create a system restore point prior to editing.

Note: If the registry key is not there, you can simply create one by going edit>new.

If you always want the maximum window size when you launch IE do the following:

Right click the Explorer icon, then choose "properties". On the Shortcut tab click the down arrow in the RUN: box.

Choose "Maximized"

Click "Apply" then OK

The next time you launch IE it will be maximized.

geezer

P.S. This is the "front door" way of making the edits without using regedit.

"regedit" is often the path to computer brain surgery. Neither for the faint-hearted nor the unfamiliar. There are sometimes several ways to set preferences for this kind of thing. Right-clicking on a LOT of things will take you cool places......