Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

M&P ,40 Major load?

Cavy

Hello, I am returning to USPSA after quite some time. I am looking to start out in limited shooting a M&P full size .40S&W.4.25"bbl. I have been reading here about different loads and would like to try loading some 180gr Berry's FP with VV N320. My mags will only tolerate a max col of 1.170" and function well cycling the slide by hand. The barrel will take that bullet out to 1.280" before the bullet sticks to the rifleing.

I am looking for recommended major load for N320 and maybe WST. And are you guys useing small pistol primers or small rifle? Any help would be greatly appreciated.Thx, Cavy

My use of lead bullets (155's), CCI-550 (SP mag) and SR 4756 powder is solely because that's what I already have lying around. 6.3 gr of 4756 loaded to 1.135" makes major and works just fine. Happily, the wind is always blowing here in MT so the smoke isn't an issue. I don't see it when I'm shooting but I notice it later if someone videos the stage.

My 2 cents

Mark

Thanks for the info.

Got to chrono some rounds today. Tried a couple different loads.

These were all out of my M&P FS 4.25" .40 useing Berry's 180gr FP, Federal once fired brass and Fed GM100M primers at 1.170" COL.

4.7gr N320, 887fps. 159 p/f

5.0gr N320, 924fps. 166 p/f

5.3gr N320, 973fps. 175 p/f

Think I am going to settle in at about 5.1gr. should be about 168-169 p/f.

The gun ran great at this COL and there were no signs of over pressure.

Looking forward to shooting some matches to try it out.

I'm shooting Limited with my M&P Pro .40 with the following loads that work great:

Xtreme FPRN, 180gr, 1.16OAL, 4.7gr of either VV N320 or Solo 1K

Chrono's: Avg Vel = 952fps, Avg PF = 171.5

Winchester SPP

N320 is great, consistent...just expensive. Solo 1K is a good cheaper substitute, just temperature sensitive and powder throws may vary.

Good luck,

rg

Edited by gogo89

My use of lead bullets (155's), CCI-550 (SP mag) and SR 4756 powder is solely because that's what I already have lying around. 6.3 gr of 4756 loaded to 1.135" makes major and works just fine. Happily, the wind is always blowing here in MT so the smoke isn't an issue. I don't see it when I'm shooting but I notice it later if someone videos the stage.

My 2 cents

Mark

Oh, was that an M & P you were shooting?

I thought it was a cap and ball with all the smoke it was belching !

Well, I must apologize for spraying the targets with gobs of lard-lube, making them hard to tape. <_<

Mark

For a second I had flashbacks of Cowboy action shooting.

They need a special USPSA div for you lead slingers!

Well, I must apologize for spraying the targets with gobs of lard-lube, making them hard to tape. <_<

Mark

For a second I had flashbacks of Cowboy action shooting.

They need a special USPSA div for you lead slingers!

See... us lead shooters should get a "2 second gimme" because of the smoke and all. That'll be good!