Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Browning Buckmark competition mods

Carmoney

OK, I want to be able to switch mags quickly.

I know about the Tac-Sol extended mag releases. Are there other options available out there? Does anyone else sell the Tac-Sol unit (since they are currently out of stock on that item)?

I would also like some extended basepads for my mags. Who makes/sells them?

I extended the mag release on my Buckmark with a 4 x 40 tap, a 1/4" screw and a 1/4 thick x 3/8 dia. cold rolled steel button. Countersink the button below the surface and screw it on! (with a little blue locktite) I use the stick on anti skid stuff from a Glock kit. My base pads are 1/2" rubber ground to the shape of the bases (I use the shape of the larger ones, not the skinny stock base). I superglue them on. They last forever, and, if they fail, glue them again... I also drilled the rear of the slide (left side) and used a 3/4" x 10/24 screw (allen head) with a bushing made out of a 5/8" piece or 1/4" brake line for a slide racker. Paint it matte black. The slide release I removed and brazed an extention / widener and used more of the anti skid stick on stuff. Kinda race-gunnish now. I made an identical set for a friend's wedding gift last fall. You can buy parts at Numrich or Brownells if you don't want to use the originals. I used the originals. Now it's a custom gun!

Yeah I did all these mods around 3 years ago. I put pictures of my open gun on RFC and other sites around so people could see the possibilites. In my case I used stick on rubber feet on the bottom of the mags, 2 per baseplate. Most are still on there today.

I used a 10-32 bolt for the racker with an alloy sleeve to make it just the right length and keep the weight down. You don't want to add too much weight to the slide or you will change the action of the pistol. Had to make it just the right length so it would not interfer the 90 degree laydown C-More bracket I designed and use on the gun. As for mag release buttons I did not want something too big but it had to come back towards the rear so I did not have to reach too far to hit it. So I ended up drilling and tapping the mag release for a 4-40 screw and put a paddle type 1911 mag extension on it. And I added a thumbrest on the left side of my own design. Top that off with a TS non-fluted 5.5 alloy barrel and a comp from John Allchin.

In fact at the PA SC match this year the winner of the Rimfire open class was in my squad and he came up to me afterwards and commented on how flat my gun shot compared to his. He was interested in the comp I was using not realizing the thumbrest was a major factor in how flat it shot using MiniMags.

• 5 months later...