Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Trade M1 Super 90 for a Remmy Versa Max Tactical....Would You?

Nalapombu

Hey all,

I was having a chat with a buddy of mine the other day and we were talking shotguns. I don't compete at all, but might like to try it in the future. I have a Benelli M1 Super 90 with a 24 inch barrel, it's mint. I have been looking for a 21 inch barrel to trade for, but haven't been successful and am thinking of going a different way or maybe trading it for something I have been wanting like a Peacemaker or something else. Well my buddy mentions that I should check out the new Remington Versa Max Tactical. He tells me a bit about it and I go and check it out. Looks like a really nice tactical shotgun. I haven't read any detailed reviews, but some of the stuff I have read looks to be pretty darn positive. So I started thinking a bit and doing a bit of math.

Would you trade a M1S90 with a 24 inch for the new Remington Versa Max 22 inch Tactical? If I were able to find someone I would most likely be looking at a trade for a USED Remmy as they are pretty pricey NIB. I don't know what they go for used, there can't be that many of them out there on the USED market yet could there?

If given the choice, which one would you rather have, the M1 or the Versa Max and why? Can anyone tell me a bit about the Versa Max and if it is as good as the Benelli M1 is. I would be using it as a Home defense and fun on the range weapon and maybe sometime later this year or next, give this 3 gun stuff a try.

Just kinda thinking out loud and would like your thoughts on it, if you don't mind sharing them.

As an aside, how does the Mossy JM 22 inch version compare to the Benelli autos like mine?

Thanks all

Nalajr

Jerrys mossberg has had extensive work put into it that's far beyond what's available on the supposedly "3 gun ready" version on the shelves.

I would stick with the Benelli myself.

I personally have had too many bad experiences with Remington products so I don't give them a second look anymore.

The Mossberg isn't even in the same league. The Benelli vs Versamax is a tossup. Keep the Benelli, send it out to have it worked over, keep the 24" barrel and add a magazine that holds 10+1 at the least.

is 10 + 1 legal in tactical class?

The Mossberg isn't even in the same league. The Benelli vs Versamax is a tossup. Keep the Benelli, send it out to have it worked over, keep the 24" barrel and add a magazine that holds 10+1 at the least.

is 10 + 1 legal in tactical class?

Depends on where you shoot..... Usually you will start with 8+1 but after the buzzer in many matches you can throw in some extras. It can be very advantageous on some stages. The 10 shell length is about the same length as a 24" barrel so it works out pretty well.

I would keep my Benelli. I shoot an M1 Super 90 with a 24" barrel and a +6 Nordic tube. It holds 9 in the tube and the tube is 1/2" shorter than the barrel. I have shot the 22" versamax tactical. It is heavier than my Benelli, it did not load as easy as my Benelli to me, the first four shells went in fairly smooth, but the last four were hard to push in and the shell catch was farther into the magazine than my Benelli. The Versamax shoots softer than the Benelli, but I have never had a problem with Benelli recoil, (I have witnessed small framed young girls run the tar out of Benellis without complaining about recoil).

I would keep my Benelli.

Hurley

I would but then Im not a benelli fan at all. They are just to light for my tastes and I like a gas gun over the recoil operated gun. Came to this after swinging an 11.5 pound Krieghoff around so I feel I have better control with the heavier gun and am still able to drive the heavy gun quick

If you are comfortable with the operation of the Benelli (familiarity, etc) then even as an adoring Versa Max owner (26", not the Tactical) I'd be hesitant to recommend such a change for you. I have a 24" Benelli SuperNova and like that barrel length a lot. As a pump gun I love my SuperNova overall. However, If someday you want a gas-operated shotgun for our game on its own, not as a trade, then have at it and get a VM Tactical. I love my Versa Max and have enjoyed shooting a Tactical version at a side event in June.

In summary, I think you would be well served staying with the current Benelli and getting accessories or modifications for 3-gun as you need them. 24" seems like a good length to me. Remington and Benelli are two brands I own and enjoy.

All the best to you,

Mike

I would keep my Benelli. I shoot an M1 Super 90 with a 24" barrel and a +6 Nordic tube. It holds 9 in the tube and the tube is 1/2" shorter than the barrel. I have shot the 22" versamax tactical. It is heavier than my Benelli, it did not load as easy as my Benelli to me, the first four shells went in fairly smooth, but the last four were hard to push in and the shell catch was farther into the magazine than my Benelli. The Versamax shoots softer than the Benelli, but I have never had a problem with Benelli recoil, (I have witnessed small framed young girls run the tar out of Benellis without complaining about recoil).

I would keep my Benelli.

Hurley

Hurley,

The Versa Max has a really heavy magazine spring from the factory. I'm setting one up for my wife and I'm changing the spring to a ISMI and opening up the loading port as well as other basic mods.

I've had both. My M1 didn't run light loads at all. The vm does need to be tuned. Specifically like Dan said, the spring and shell catch are too tight and some material needs to be removed around the loading port, especially at the front past the shell catch. I've found that the vm will run anything with no break-in.

Thanks all for your suggestions.

The only other trade I have been tossing around in my mind is trading my M1S90 for a Colt Peacemaker. I have always wanted one and never had the chance to get one. Those 4 3/4 inch Peacemakers are just beautiful, especially in 45 Colt. I wouldn't care what finish, but I believe I would have to add some boot to get into something like that unless I found a Cowboy that just wanted to get into 3 gun shooting. Hard to find a deal like that though.

In the end, I'll probably end up keeping my Benelli. If I never find a 21 inch barrel for it I'll just go over to the really nice Clay Target club down the road and get me a membership and try that out with my M1 and the 24 inch barrel. I've always wanted to try those clay target games too. Then I'd just get me a dedicated HD shotgun and all's well. In fact, that sounds like the best option right now unless a Peacemaker came along. If one did, I'd have to do some serious thinking on it.

Thanks again everyone.

Nalajr

I'm a big fan of the Versa Max, and would contend that it is slightly superior to the Benelli M1/M2 platform (softer recoil, more reliable when loaded down with accessories). However, if you already have a 24" M1 I would recommend sticking with it for the time being. Add a 10+1 magazine extension to your M1, come out and shoot a few matches and see if its your cup of tea. You can always upgrade later if 3-gun is your thing.

EkuJustice, I have read and been told that the 3-gun shooter prefer the 24 inch barrel by a wide margin compared to the 21 inch. Since I have a 24 inch and was wanting a 21 inch, I thought that would mean getting into a 21 inch for my 24 inch would be no problem at all. I thought I would have plenty of offers, but that isn't the case. In fact I have never got a single message from anyone interested in swapping. I've had a few wanting to buy my barrel, but no trades at all. I don't think I'll pursue that course any longer. That's what started the thinking about the VersaMax Tactical trade or a trade for something else like a Peacemaker, but that is highly unlikely as well.

As of now I will more than likely keep my M1 unless someone makes me an incredible offer to trade something I have wanted for a LONG time. I've never had the chance to shoot clay targets and right down the road there is supposed to be a state of the art facility that has Sporting Clays, Trap and Skeet. I think I am going to go check it out and if the price isn't too bad, I'm going to get out the M1, lightly clean and lube and then have some fun at the range trying to bust some clays. If that happens, it will be the first time that Benelli has been fired in probably over 10 years.

Thanks all for your help and advice.

Nalajr

I am no expert but I have had good success using an M1 Super 90 with a 24 inch tube this year in 3 gun. C rums did some nice work over the winter and it has ran like a charm. I have seen more than 1 person using a Remington 1100 have problems.

Edited by Sig Shooter

I would keep my Benelli.

Hurley

Hurley,

The Versa Max has a really heavy magazine spring from the factory. I'm setting one up for my wife and I'm changing the spring to a ISMI and opening up the loading port as well as other basic mods.

I am sure that you could polish the inside of the tube, change springs and do some work around the loading port to help the Versamax. The one that I shot was box stock at the Remington side match at the Pro/Am last week. It ran good, most of the time (we joked to the rep at the table that maybe he should try some AA in it). If I didn't have a shotgun and I came across a good deal on one, I would probably get it and shoot the fire out of it. I know that I am biased, but I wouldn't trade my Benelli for one. My old M1 is a 1994 HK import, it is stock except for a Nordic tube and a little smoothing of the left side of the loading port.

Hurley

I am sure that you could polish the inside of the tube, change springs and do some work around the loading port to help the Versamax. The one that I shot was box stock at the Remington side match at the Pro/Am last week. It ran good, most of the time (we joked to the rep at the table that maybe he should try some AA in it). If I didn't have a shotgun and I came across a good deal on one, I would probably get it and shoot the fire out of it. I know that I am biased, but I wouldn't trade my Benelli for one. My old M1 is a 1994 HK import, it is stock except for a Nordic tube and a little smoothing of the left side of the loading port.

Hurley

I opened up the loading port for a buddy of mine, it makes a huge difference. He called ISMI for a spring, but they were out. He had some Wolff extra power mag springs, and he shortened one and stuck it in, and said it made a huge difference on the last couple shells.

I own a versamax tactical and I'll say it's the best shotgun remington has ever produced. I've played with 1187s and 1100s and they're ok but the Versamax is in a league of it's own. It's an extremely soft shooting gun and it has run everything I've put through it flawlessly. I've run 3 1/2 magnum slugs all the way down to 2 3/4 fiocchi and winchester white box target loads and it's been perfect.

The benellis are great guns (otherwise they wouldn't have such a strong following as seen in previous posts), and I don't have a ton of experience with them though I will say the few I have shot do recoil quite a bit more than the versamax.

I'm not trying to sway you either way, if you like your benelli stick with it. Just giving a little owners insite for the Versamax Tactical. Hope it helps.