Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

40 and american select

colbyjack

I have no idea why AmSelect is so hard to find data for.

One of my load books, Modern reloading by Richard Lee (2003):

American select MAX loads

150gr jacketed 6.0gr,

155gr lead, 5.7 gr,

170gr jacketed 5.4g,

180 gr jacket 4.7 gr,

180 gr lead 5.0 gr,

190gr jacketed, 4.7gr,

That's 6 listed loads in just ONE book. If you are not looking in load books, then where are you finding data?

That being said, I have used American Select to make major with 5.5gr, MG 180's loaded at 1.2"+.

Alliant makes some good powder!! I just finished working up a Clay Dot load to make major. I've been studying burn rate charts and have come to the conclusion that you can use any powder in the speed range from say 231 to 2400 to make major. It will take a chrono and safe techniques, but it can be done.

American Select is a ready alternative to the more popular powders, it just meters lousy, would not mind finding a powder that meters better.

Since there is so much variations in bullets, brass, barrels, primers, powder lots, temperatures, etc. Yes, if you want to reaload period, you need to start low and take your time chronographing every change.

Edited by fastarget

American Select is a ready alternative to the more popular powders, it just meters lousy, would not mind finding a powder that meters better.

Since there is so much variations in bullets, brass, barrels, primers, powder lots, temperatures, etc. Yes, if you want to reaload perios, you need to start low and take your time chronographing every change.

I'll agree AmSel meters poorly. Expect variations of .2gr due to the light fluffy flakes and static buildup that can keep a not-so-full hopper from dropping consistently.

Other Alliant powders that have the same shape seem to meter better, like Clay Dot, and Extra-lite; worse is STEEL.