Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Run down & lacking motivation

tackdr1ver

I find myself like this from time to time, especially with work. The feeling of having zero control when i use to have all the control is tough. So, off to the range I go.

Funny thing is after I go to the range, my thoughts are clearer. When I'm shooting, I don't think about anything else except the target. I shoot trap mostly. First round I'll miss a bird but then I get dialed in. The emptying of the mind of all things except what is right in front of me sort of resets my overall view and I can prioritize better and process better.

So my advise is to use the activity of shooting, either practice or a match, as a way to clear the etch-a-sketch and start over.

Every day if needed :D

" Things go the way the mind goes"

That is one of my favorites from Shunryu Suzuki. (I think it's one of Flexmoney's too.)

From the moment I read it, something so simple that I had overlooked my whole life. The true depth of that statement is amazing.

Its depth is amazing. I just got the chills, when I re-read it for probably the 100th time.

Here's another "version" from the Dhammapada:

"All that we are is the result of what we have thought; It is founded on our thoughrts and is made up of our thoughts."

Go to the Dr. get a physical to be sure you don't have anything going on that is dragging you down - you should do this from time to time. Then go play with your dog. Works for me. My best to you. It is not just the shooting that I enjoy it is the folks that I am with - shooters are good folks.

• 1 month later...

Just to update on this thread:

I wanted to thank you all for your kind words and motivation.

I am back at it! I have started dry firing again and I have seemed to rekindle the fire. It has been difficult but the bus is back on the road!

Thanks!

I have followed this from the beginning. Very glad tackdriver has found the way back. For me, as of yesterday, I have decided it is time to walk away. I am hoping after I get my body fixed I can get my head in line but for now, I have decided next weekend I will clean and oil my guns and take a wait and see attitude. Physical pain is making me someone you do not want to be around socially.

Best of luck to you all.