Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dry firing a SVI 2011

Nemesis Lead

I am getting a new SVI 2011 in the next few days (yay!).

I am new to the 2011 platform. My question is---when dry firing (or even loading and making ready) I have seen other shooters pull the trigger while pulling the hammer back. They say that it protects the hammer and sear from rubbing against each other.

Other people don't do this and claim this is not necessary.

I don't know who to believe. Can someone enlighten me?

Also--is there anything else I need to know about a 2011? For example, I have heard it is bad to let the slide fall hard on an empty chamber (not sure if this is true either).

Congrats on your pending pistol! Please post pics when you get it.

I do not see a need to pull the trigger while cocking the hammer. When you rack the slide it cocks the hammer, but you aren't pulling the trigger then.

I would recommend against dropping the slide on an empty chamber. Unnecessary battering of the gun IMO.

Edited by Jonathan Taliani

Congrats on your pending pistol! Please post pics when you get it.

I do not see a need to pull the trigger while cocking the hammer. When you rack the slide it cocks the hammer, but you aren't pulling the trigger then.

I would recommend against dropping the slide on an empty chamber. Unnecessary battering of the gun IMO.

+1 on everything he said. Congrats on the new gun.

Holding the trigger to rear while running the slide is an old bullseye gun habit. Materials sears were made of in the old days were not the as good as we have today, it was thought important to keep the sear nose held off the hammer and half cock notch to prevent damage to the sear. That being said I think it important to learn the feel of reset during dry fire and keep the I trigger pinned while running the slide to recock the hammer.

Use dummy rounds and full mags when dry firing to duplicate the weight of a loaded gun.

I recommend nothing in the chamber.

This ^^

Full mags not only duplicate the weight of the gun, they also duplicate the effort necessary to seat a mag when practicing reloads.

Practicing reloads with downloaded mags will eventually result in a blown reload during a match when a partially seated mag causes the gun to go: BANG, click.

That click is the loudest quiet sound ever heard on a range which is immediately followed by guffaws of laughter from everyone in the peanut gallery. But don't be embarrased if this happens to you. They're not laughing in spite. They're laughing because it's happened to them before.

(At least that's what I was told when it happened to me :surprise: )

Holding the trigger to rear while running the slide is an old bullseye gun habit.

If you do this shooting USPSA, you will get a DQ.

Use dummy rounds and full mags when dry firing to duplicate the weight of a loaded gun.

I recommend nothing in the chamber.

Do or don't what them say, as the case could be. Figure out which is which from context: keep boogerpicker off bangmaker unless engaging targets.