Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The draw

Sac Law Man

I have been working on my draw, today I video taped myself. I wanted to see if my support hand was lagging back, slowing down my draw. I noticed I would bring my support hand all the way over to my stomach area just in front of my holster and just above belt level. I am assuming this is not very efficient. A fellow shooter suggested I bring my support hand to the middle of my body about sternum height, another said keep the support hand slightly away from your body so you dont get jammed up..Any suggestions...Thanks John

John, your hands should meet right where they would naturally meet if you weren't drawing a pistol. Ron Avery talks about the "natural hand clap position". It works fine.

From what I've seen in a good many shooters, the mechanics of the draw isn't the real issue. Most people I've helped that weren't satisfied with their draw time were actually pausing to obsess over the sight picture before they touched off the shot. Unless you need better accuracy than 6"X12" A zone at 7 yards, just look down the slide and calmly press the trigger. While reviewing your video tape, see if you are coming out cleanly and "bang", soon as the gun comes level. If you aren't, why not? For many people, hitting a seven yard "A" zone fast, everytime, requires sight alignment, but not a true sight picture.

Trust yourself.

And smile. Speed is sooooo fun! B)

John, your hands should meet right where they would naturally meet if you weren't drawing a pistol.

Try working backwards. Hold the gun up in full presentation then bring it back in the reverse action of your draw, like you are re-holstering. Where your weak hand comes off the gun is probably where you want your weak hand to come on the gun.

I noticed I would bring my support hand all the way over to my stomach area just in front of my holster and just above belt level.

Where your weak hand "slaps" when your strong hand is gripping your gun I think is a matter of preference. Some people slap their belly, others closer to the sterum. I think the most important part is that when the strong hand brings the gun to the point of where both hands meet, the weak hand really needs to be there.

There is some extra movement of the weak hand the way you describe it though. Your weak hand crosses your centerline then has to come back to it when you are presenting the gun.

I noticed I would bring my support hand all the way over to my stomach area just in front of my holster and just above belt level.

One last thought, what type of holster are you using? Are you bringing your weak hand over that far to stabilize the holster before you draw the gun?

[While reviewing your video tape, see if you are coming out cleanly and "bang", soon as the gun comes level. If you aren't, why not?]

Sam, this is something I am also working on, firing the gun the instant my arms extend out. I know this is costing me a few tenths of a sec..

Thanks for the adivce, the natural clap makes sense, Ill try it.

Short round, I agree, working the draw in reverse is very hepful..when I do so, my support hand comes off right in the center of my upper ab area. I do not move my hand to stablizie the holster, just a habit I guess.

Sac Law man,

I like to go past the "natural clap position" and get my support hand on the front part of my rib cage near the pistol. I like to get both hands on the pistol as early as possible. This gives me a little longer time to fix my grip as I'm driving the gun to the target if I get a bad grip. The longer in your draw stroke you take to get your two handed grip, the less time you'll have to shift your grip if its not optimal. You'll end up at full extension trying to fix your grip when you should be shooting.

Erik

My weak hand comes up to about the point on my chest where there is the "V" in the rib cage and then waits there until the gun comes about to that point.

If you can get your hands on Matt Burkett's Practical Shooting Vol. 1 DVD, there is very good visual instruction of how it is supposed to look.