Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Activator alternative

My club is having a carbine match in a couple of weeks. Our range max distance is 50yds. I'd like to use moving targets such as swingers and running man , but can't use steel to activate them. I don't want to use the step-on type. Was thinking of using bowling pins. Any other suggestions? Ideas?

My club is having a carbine match in a couple of weeks. Our range max distance is 50yds. I'd like to use moving targets such as swingers and running man , but can't use steel to activate them. I don't want to use the step-on type. Was thinking of using bowling pins. Any other suggestions? Ideas?

Don't use bowling pins! Ricochets and such not nice of those. Ideas...

1. Use a Clay (or even a piece of charcoal) to hold up a piece of wood. Shoot clay, wood falls pulls pin...move.

2. Use a prop gun, like a .38 spl with wadcutters on the steel activator.

Don't use bowling pins! Ricochets and such not nice of those. Ideas...

1. Use a Clay (or even a piece of charcoal) to hold up a piece of wood. Shoot clay, wood falls pulls pin...move.

2. Use a prop gun, like a .38 spl with wadcutters on the steel activator.

Didnt know that bowling pins could ricochet. Thanks

I really like both ideas . Now I would just have to MacGyver #1

A shock sensor for a car alarm works quite well behind steel plates. Set very sensitive the ones I have ziptied to the bottom of a 1x2 in a target stand will activate when a bullet passed through a cardboard target. Once you have 12v for the sensor you can use other automotive parts to trigger devices with the same batt.

A shock sensor for a car alarm works quite well behind steel plates. Set very sensitive the ones I have ziptied to the bottom of a 1x2 in a target stand will activate when a bullet passed through a cardboard target. Once you have 12v for the sensor you can use other automotive parts to trigger devices with the same batt.

Actually , I have thought of using 12v actuators from automotive systems such as door locks and use horn pressure pads for switches. But was never sure if electronics was legal to use in USPSA or IPSC.

You just brought back an old thought of mines. Thanks :-)

• 2 weeks later...

We have the same problem at our range for an indoor match we help with.. This week we are going to try one of those impact seal targets shaped like a cube. Planning on tying a rope to it and guiding the rope through the stand it sits on to pull the rope out of the swinger.. Should work.. Will post how it works with video.