Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

170 IPSC mag

D__

Have two 170 mags set up for the states but have none for IPSC. Currently have Dawson basepads - they are longer than 170mm. Looking for what you are using to be legal for IPSC.

Hello: You could use either the Grams 2.5mm and check the gauge or the Double Tap flat base pad with a STI insert to hold it in place. The Double Tap should work fine and are made in Canada. I am not sure if the Taran ones will fit the IPSC gauge? Hope this helps. Thanks, Eric

I recently acquired SVI 164mm tubes for use with Limcat +2 base pads and fit 28 rounds. I can also use the 7mm Taran/Bolen pad with plenty of space but can only fit 27 rounds reloadable. I would like to try and compare the Dawson next. My 170mm with 3mm Bolen is doubtful but fits the USPSA gauge with very little room to spare. I compared it side by side with somebody's 170mm at the last World Shoot and ended up borrowing it.

I've got three 170mm mags which I use in IPSC.

One older SPS with Grams, one relative new SPS which have a Dawson SNL pad. Those are 28+1.

The last one are old style SVI tube, Bolen follower and spring, and a Dawson +1 pad. This is a 29+1 mag but you need to grind off some material at the back of the pad to make the 170mm limit.

Hey Guys,

New shooter...how many of the 140mm and 170mm mags would you carry during a match??

JT :)

3 - 140mm and 1 - 170mm minimum. That's what I have on my belt when shooting. Of course, having a spare 170 and 1 or 2 spare 140s is a good thing, (in case a mag goes bad during a match.)

Hey Guys,

New shooter...how many of the 140mm and 170mm mags would you carry during a match??

JT :)

2 140s, and 2 170s. Max legal round count for a stage is 32....so you typically never need more than a mag to start, and a mag to reload to. HOWEVER, I (and most of the shooters I know) always start with 3 mags (one in the gun, 2 on the belt). The 3rd mag is incase you drop your reload mag, or have an issue with one of the mags. The 4th mag is your go-to backup or if there's a bunch of mandatory reloads.

I try to stick to the same basepads, followers, and springs to minimize backup parts. Currently running Dawson basepads with Grams spring and followers.

Edited by Chip_E