Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Taking care of an old friend -> my Kimber

h4444

Hmmm,,,,my Kimber (circa late 90's) is starting to act like an old car, seems like the last 3 or 4 times I've taken it out for a spin, when I get home, I'm replacing parts.

I can't complain too much, it had gone over a decade and a LOT of rounds without missing a beat.

Nothing major really, just little things finally wearing out some of them are expected/regular maintenance items like springs, the OEM extractor (replaced with an aftec), and some of my older mags are acting up, but they've all reared their ugly heads at once. And no, it isn't for sale. :-)

Why, did I put this in "what I like"? Well, I put it here because that pistol has been ROCK SOLID for so long. It truly is the one pistol I won't sell. I'm guessing by the serial number and year I bought it was was made shortly after Kimber moved to Ny. It is a pre-series II pistol, just a plain jane classic custom. It was the first decent pistol I ever bought.

Fortunately, it decided to start acting up during some practice sessions. At least it wasn't in a match.

Byron

About two years ago, I lost the rear sight blade on my Kimber (a mid-90s gun). The traverse screw had sheared. Amazingly this happened while shooting, not while adjusting the screw. I called Kimber and they were happy to send me a new screw. The screw did not fit. Called them back. Engineering change to a thicker screw in the Night Sights. Kimber told me to strip the slide and send it to them. A week later, the slide returned with a brand new Night Sights and a thank you for being a customer. Can't beat the service.

Next up sorting through the mags to figure out exactly which ones are causing me issues.....That'll be fun as that'll require sending some rounds down range. :-)

I have two ancient 8 rounders that have been Barney mags forever, so I'm not going to worry about them. I've got several 10 rounders and some are older than others, I think my problem mags lie in that group of mags. My new 8 rounders have been running well.

So far so good with the new extractor. Last range session, I had a few nose dives,,,I did notice it was with my 10 round mags, but I didn't note which one(s), so I'm guessing it'll end up being a worn out spring or something like that.

Anyway,,,,we'll see how it goes.