Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Moonclip Conversions in AP

pskys2

Was wondering I have a 4" M29 I'd like to use in Action Pistol Production Division.

I had the cylinder cut for moon clips and use .44 Russians in it for USPSA and even some ICORE.

I know it's not good in IDPA, but I don't shoot that anyway.

1) Would it be legal in Production with the cylinder cut that way?

2) Would it be legal in Production to use the rounds with the moon clips?

Edited by pskys2

I would say no, major modification and unlikely to be within the spirit of the rules.

But given the allowance of aftermarket barrels in autos (as long as you do not make external mods) you may be onto something.

The 4" barrel and it's shorter sight radius will be the biggest hindrance to success in this match. If you can make it accurate at 25Y plus then get into it.

I understand the NRA's, um issues after all the first year of Production they said you couldn't even use an aftermarket barrel.

But unlike in USPSA or ICORE, there's no advantage in using a moon clipped gun. Other than it would take less time to load for each string. All that helps is to keep the match moving, except maybe on the Mover at the Cup where, at least they used to, limit you to 10 minutes? to complete the course. But maybe they've done away with that.

The other question would be if the moon clip conversion, unused one could just use the old HK Speed Loaders, would in itself be against their rules.

It is a minor issue, I have a good fiber optic FS and a 6# Action Job on the M29 and with the right loads I don't have a problem with keeping inside the 10 ring at 50 yds. But I like it better than the old M28 I have, the M28 looks like the FS is milled from the barrel stock and haven't been able to get under 6 1/2# action job, but with Wad Cutters it will do X ring at 50 yds.

It's just the M29 with Moon Clips is smoother to handle thru out a match than fiddling with Speed Loaders.

Edited by pskys2

I asked NRA AP headquarters this question directly.

Are revolvers that have been modified to accept moonclips legal in the production class? The cut is not visible with the cylinder closed, but is visible with it open.

I ask because I have a 686+ that is bone-stock except the cylinder has been cut for moonclips.

The reply I received is below:

Based on the Chief Referee & Match Staff input, here is the final decision. Please keep in mind that this was discussed on every level, with everyone’s best interest in mind.

“My final decision is that this is a modification to facilitate reloading similar to the extended MagWell and would be illegal and also not in the spirit of the game”.

Let us know if you need anything else.

Don't let this stop you from shooting though.... I bet 9 out of 10 local match directors will have no problem with it... Unless the match includes one of the rare events that includes reloading on the clock, what difference does it make? No one can argue that you'll have an unfair advantage with a 4" barrel and a 12" lead on the mover :)

Go shoot some local matches and worry about upgrading your equipment if you want to shoot the Bianchi Cup or a state championship.

Edited by Griz

I asked NRA AP headquarters this question directly.

Are revolvers that have been modified to accept moonclips legal in the production class? The cut is not visible with the cylinder closed, but is visible with it open.

I ask because I have a 686+ that is bone-stock except the cylinder has been cut for moonclips.

The reply I received is below:

Based on the Chief Referee & Match Staff input, here is the final decision. Please keep in mind that this was discussed on every level, with everyone’s best interest in mind.

“My final decision is that this is a modification to facilitate reloading similar to the extended MagWell and would be illegal and also not in the spirit of the game”.

Let us know if you need anything else.

Don't let this stop you from shooting though.... I bet 9 out of 10 local match directors will have no problem with it... Unless the match includes one of the rare events that includes reloading on the clock, what difference does it make? No one can argue that you'll have an unfair advantage with a 4" barrel and a 12" lead on the mover :)

Go shoot some local matches and worry about upgrading your equipment if you want to shoot the Bianchi Cup or a state championship.

That saved me the trouble and time, does seem to take a while for NRA to respond, and is pretty much the answer I expected.

I'm not a newbie by any stretch, attended the Cup in '85 and ran an Action Pistol Club in the '80's.

Recently been shooting a Glock 34, but trying to set up an old M28 to use. Which is what I'll be using at the next Regional if all goes well.

Just had a passing idea with the M29. And still would use it at a local match in Metallic Sight if I had a chance.