Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

"tactical" what does it mean to 3 gun

Again, It is the mental aspect, not the gear itself. Example, "I make a tactical decision at a match." That means I choose what "Tactics" will help me in the match, be that I go prone or kneeling, or supported, or where someone chooses to shoot from to gain advantage. Tactical is simply putting Tactics into application.

I vote to keep it, I agree that the name sells.

Jay

I hope I never really have to do anything "tactical", but if I do, I hope I have some 3gunners to do it with.

Oh Yea thats what i want. a guy running like a bat out of hell behind me wuth a 2-1/2# trigger on a gun that may work.

yep sure sounds exciting

L.O.L.

jjw

Edited by jjw

I hope I never really have to do anything "tactical", but if I do, I hope I have some 3gunners to do it with.

Oh Yea thats what i want. a guy running like a bat out of hell behind me wuth a 2-1/2# trigger on a gun that may work.

yep sure sounds exciting

L.O.L.

jjw

:D

yep sure sounds exciting

L.O.L.

jjw

5 division winners from RM3G: Miculek, Horner, Casanova, Watson, Moots...yep, I would trust any one of them with my life, even if they were behind me.

Edited by MarkCO

yep sure sounds exciting

L.O.L.

jjw

Great people shoot this sport but I would rather have guys with me that I have worked with in real life even if they are C class shooters. Shooting is not the most critical part in real life but rather how you handle stress. However I suspect many three gunners work with guns in real life as well like the soldiers and leo's who also play the game so its kind of a moot point.

Pat

Edited by Alaskapopo

We are probably stuck with the name 'Tactical', so what? If it sells gear to many that will never shoot a match, (I don't want to learn bad habits because when the SHTF, I don't want to have to unlearn all that gamey stuff), all it can really do is enable the manufacturers to lower their per unit costs making any usable peice of gear cost us less, or maybe just be available.

The actual word has many meanings, What methodology you use to solve the particular problem presented can be said to be your tactics. Do we need to wear camo to be 'Tactical'? Really at a match 'Camo' would be a pair of 5.11 pants with a brightly colored shirt loaded with logos and your name!

Without having thankfully ever having had to enter a building where there were 16 armed bad guys, I would think that kicking open the door and running in with just a handgun, solo would probably be 'tactically' unsound tactics.

I think when we say tactical in 3-gun, we generally mean gear that will allow us to carry all we need for a stage, access it quickly, have it run smoothly and stand up to weather and physical abuse without breaking or showing more than a little wear. The gear should also be adequate or better to solve the presented problem. In this respect 'Tactical' is different for each division.

Simply, Tactical is in the mind of the competitor.

Tactical? You betcha! And no, that isn't a tactical thong it is extra strap material!

Isn't that one of those bikinis that Borat wears?

Brian likes the young girls like ...Madona ... that wear her underware on the outside

Edited by AlamoShooter

for me it is just a name of a shooting Division, it has to called something, but i agree it sells. the only time i ever see anyone try to dress the part is in the Tactical Carbine match in Hoover, AL. but with that said one year the guy who won that division shot with whole match with flip/flops.

Edited by RWF

People have used the "Tactical" part of scope tactical to justify the use of beta mags. I just don't see the "tactical" reference holding any water in the context of of game anymore, possibly at one time, but not now. Lets face it, 3 gun as we play it now is just slightly more tactical than sporting clays, which is fine with me. The trend seems to be more to the 3 gun nation style of three gun, not my favorite style of stages, but people seem to like them, and they are even more sterile than pistol stages. I think we need better adjectives, tactical and practical just don't seem to be concrete enough or as applicable. Back to work for now....

yep sure sounds exciting

L.O.L.

jjw

no more from me. this is silly.

jjw

Edited by jjw

There is no place in this discussion for for non 3 gun related "tactical". There are plenty of other places to debate that sort of thing, no need to get this thread locked.

Edited by Stlhead

I am not particularly enamored with the name "Tactical" but I can't really think of a better name for the division. We have to call it something but as soon as we call it "Patrol," "Action," "Practical," or "Wannabe Operator" division, people will be bitching about that title. In any event "Tactical" division will never match up to the real world. The real world is just too big and dynamic. The advent of micro red dots on duty pistols and as short range sights on rifles has shown that gamerland Open division has come to the real world. I remember floating the idea of some open class mods (freefloat handguards, secondary red dot sights, decent trigger)to real deal operators that jjw is so fond of back at the North American Tactical match only to be told that that gamer sh!t won't fly in the real world. Now they all have that stuff on their duty guns! I guess bumblebees and pigs can fly.

It will always be inherently difficult to establish a set of consistent equipment rules for a competition game which is so closely aligned with a real world activity, and a deadly serious one at that but I think that our current "Tactical" division does a pretty decent job of it. It is certainly better than the old SOF rules limiting one to which scope they can use because those are the only scopes used in the "real world." But just because the real tactical community starts to adopt some open class gear (which was TOTALLY developed in the competitive shooting community), I don't think that we should instantly change the equipment rules of our sport. But I recognize at some point those rules will be affected by the give and take between the competitive community and the tactical community. Once red dots are on the majority of duty/CCW pistols, it will be hard to argue that they should not be allowed in the "Tactical" division of our sport. I just don't think that we are there yet.

I do think that it is important that we have a division that is accessible to the mythical shooter who has an M4ish rifle with a red dot and a Glock 19.

And let's have a little less of the "you don't know what it is like in the real world." There are plenty of other forums for that. But I'm with MarkCo when the urban riots, red dawn remake, zombie apocalypse, arrival of the Visigoths/Vandals/Vikings/Huns/Mongols/Alien Overlords hits, I would not mind being with any of the RM3G divisional winners either. Real deal operators scare me, they are ALWAYS pointing their guns at each other!

I am not particularly enamored with the name "Tactical" but I can't really think of a better name for the division. We have to call it something but as soon as we call it "Patrol," "Action," "Practical," or "Wannabe Operator" division, people will be bitching about that title. In any event "Tactical" division will never match up to the real world. The real world is just too big and dynamic. The advent of micro red dots on duty pistols and as short range sights on rifles has shown that gamerland Open division has come to the real world. I remember floating the idea of some open class mods (freefloat handguards, secondary red dot sights, decent trigger)to real deal operators that jjw is so fond of back at the North American Tactical match only to be told that that gamer sh!t won't fly in the real world. Now they all have that stuff on their duty guns! I guess bumblebees and pigs can fly.

It will always be inherently difficult to establish a set of consistent equipment rules for a competition game which is so closely aligned with a real world activity, and a deadly serious one at that but I think that our current "Tactical" division does a pretty decent job of it. It is certainly better than the old SOF rules limiting one to which scope they can use because those are the only scopes used in the "real world." But just because the real tactical community starts to adopt some open class gear (which was TOTALLY developed in the competitive shooting community), I don't think that we should instantly change the equipment rules of our sport. But I recognize at some point those rules will be affected by the give and take between the competitive community and the tactical community. Once red dots are on the majority of duty/CCW pistols, it will be hard to argue that they should not be allowed in the "Tactical" division of our sport. I just don't think that we are there yet.

I do think that it is important that we have a division that is accessible to the mythical shooter who has an M4ish rifle with a red dot and a Glock 19.

And let's have a little less of the "you don't know what it is like in the real world." There are plenty of other forums for that. But I'm with MarkCo when the urban riots, red dawn remake, zombie apocalypse, arrival of the Visigoths/Vandals/Vikings/Huns/Mongols/Alien Overlords hits, I would not mind being with any of the RM3G divisional winners either. Real deal operators scare me, they are ALWAYS pointing their guns at each other!

As usual brother Kelly, well said. As a retired law enforcement officer and firearms instructor i believe any trigger time is beneficial. but..........if we are keeping score, it is a game. The experience may help in another arena, but here in 3 gunning it is a game.

:cheers: and make it cold!

• 2 months later...