Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

650- primers getting crushed

Need help solving issue if primers getting crushed.I'm using federal sp primers. It happens pretty oftenn now. Primer doesn't even gets to primer pocket in the case, its catches on something while still in the primer plate. So when I push the handle forward,it crushes it.

Do you mean it is crushing them even with no brass in the primer station? If not like Kevin says look for crimped pockets or another explanation could be your depriming pin has moved and is not punching out the old primer. Take a look at the brass after you have rotated it to the primer station but before you try to insert the new primer.

Brass pockets are not crimped, win or f.c. headstamp. Old primer removed. Brass was seating in the primer station. Not sure how to explain it, but I think shell plate was blocking primer from seating into the case.

Take a look at the shell plate at the priming station without a case in the shell plate. Does the primer seating stem come up in the center of the cut out for the brass? If it is off center take a 360 degree look at the ring indexer which is under the main platform. When the indexer breaks weird things start happening.

Pat

Had a similar problem a few months ago turned out to be the primer indexing arm spring tab on the indexing arm breaking off. Called Dillon and they sent two indexing arm replacements.

If you have access to a 650 manual these parts are shown on page 53, #6 and 11. The part to check is the curved arm that the spring slips over, shown in the manual diagram.

Edited by retarmyaviator

I had a similar problem with mine a few years ago. Call Dillon and ask them if they press needes to be "timed." They'll send you a small tool gratis and instructions. It should do the trick in just a few minutes.

On the left side of the machine is the indexer block look in your manual) which is held in place by two allen head caps crews. Loosen the screws and move the block either towards the front or back. Tighten the cap screws and see where that adjustment got you. Now you should have an idea which way the block should go, frontward or backward. Adjust as necessary until the primer primer seating punch is centered in the case slot in the shell plate. Now the question is... how did it get out of alignment?

Pat

Took a closer look at the issue yesterday:

- The primer seating stem is centered

- Primer indexing arm spring tab seems fully functional and in good condition

- Tried adjusting indexer block, no luck there

Here is a few pictures of shell plate at priming station. I know its off center but is it acceptable tolerance or it should be dead center?

post-33495-0-24995300-1345477544_thumb.j

post-33495-0-60749600-1345477558_thumb.j

post-33495-0-61676800-1345477573_thumb.j

post-33495-0-97609400-1345477585_thumb.j

post-33495-0-34207400-1345477630_thumb.j

Edited by e-mishka

The primer should be much closer to being centered than that. The shellplate is slightly over-indexed. You can adjust that camming block by eye, it need to be very slightly shifted towards the front of the machine. Otherwise, contact us by phone or e-mail and we can mail you the alignment tool.

@dillon,

talked to one of the reps yesterday, he said something about checking alignment under the station 1 where case slides into the shell plate.

I wasn't home at that time so couldn't check, when i got home I didn't see anything that made sense to me.

Did i misunderstood him completely? Can you point me to the right direction.

Got the adjustment package and tried to realign everything. I got confused on parts that dillon send me. There was one steel 3" rod, and one 1" black piece.

I was following instructions but didn't see where to use that small piece. Any advise?

Well i went on with the process, it seems that it same as before.

However i noticed one thing:

If I remove primer cam then shell plate indexes centered on top of primer disc hole.

Once install pimer cam back, as platform goes up primer indexing arm pushes against cam, which rotates disc.

BUT it pushes so much further then if i do it manually, that primer disc rotates 1/2 a turn to much.

Then as platform goes down indexing arm spring pushes back arm, which aligns primer disc with station 2. For some reason its not perfect allignment every time.

Is it normal primer indexing behaviour?

Make sure the platform head bolts have not become loose. This happened to me and I set off one primer and KABOOM the whole tube of 70 some primers followed suit. Dillon sent out all the parts that were damaged and thats when I found the cause of the problem. Now I check them when ever change the shell plate and all has been great for 6 + years. Mine would flip and crush 6 or 7 % large and small.