Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooting for points?

Red Ryder

I came in 3rd in points total shooting production at the Area 8 Championship 2012. I am tied for 2nd place with 222 A zone hits. Yeah for me...when combined with my time I finished 97th! Suck! I don't think accuracy is fairly rewarded in this game compaired to time. I shot 93.86% of the available points (49% slower than the top guy). I think the top points earners should be recognized also :rolleyes:

I came in 3rd in points total shooting production at the Area 8 Championship 2012. I am tied for 2nd place with 222 A zone hits. Yeah for me...when combined with my time I finished 97th! Suck! I don't think accuracy is fairly rewarded in this game compaired to time. I shot 93.86% of the available points (49% slower than the top guy). I think the top points earners should be recognized also :rolleyes:

There are plenty of games out there where points are all that matter...clay sports, silhouette, bullseye, etc. Maybe you should try one of those if points matter more to you than speed. I'll stick with DVC for now.

Accuracy is rewarded. If you shoot too sloppy, you won't win either. Tyically the guys winning are shooting in the 90+ percent of the total points and doing it fast as well. You just have to decide when to go for speed and when to go for points. Some stages your better off going for every point, others you need to go for ok hits and speed.

Accuracy is rewarded. If you shoot too sloppy, you won't win either. Tyically the guys winning are shooting in the 90+ percent of the total points and doing it fast as well. You just have to decide when to go for speed and when to go for points. Some stages your better off going for every point, others you need to go for ok hits and speed.

^^^^^^^^

What he said. I will assure you that as you sat there and were upset at the lack of fairness for your high points there was somebody doing the same thing but upset because he shot the stages faster than the 80 people above him. That is the jist of this game, to balance both. This is just about the only sport that forces you to balance two opposite goals. It is very challenging and I find it to be one of the coolest things about shooting USPSA.

Edited by Neomet

I think that things are well balanced when translated into hit factor, and balance the speed and accuracy well. Being able to blend speed into the game, while still seeing the sights keeps things interesting for me. The A zone is huge at common distances until you add the urgency the clock brings to the mix, then things get challenging and interesting.

^^^^^^^^

What he said. I will assure you that as you sat there and were upset at the lack of fairness for your high points there was somebody doing the same thing but upset because he shot the stages faster than the 80 people above him. That is the jist of this game, to balance both. This is just about the only sport that forces you to balance two opposite goals. It is very challenging and I find it to be one of the coolest things about shooting USPSA.

^^^^ more of what he said.

Not to mention it changes - ALL the time, with every match. Some matches are more technical - others are more about efficiency, sometimes there is a balance, sometimes, there isn't.

That's also why I love this game. It's different all the time.

Actually, you scored pretty appropriately. You finished within your class, as compared to a GM. You shot a little more accurately than him -- he shot right around 92% of available as most of the top dogs did -- but he completed the stages far faster than you. Some of that was probably shooting speed, most of it though was stage breakdown, knowing the fastest order to arrange and complete the required tasks, and being able to smoothly execute that.....

With a little effort, you too can pull that off....

Balance. As said before, it is a matter of choices from the guns we use, to the sights we use, to the bullets we use, to the powder we use, to the way we break down stages, and on and on.

It is these challenges that make us choose this shooting game over other shooting games. If the game was just about points, we would all shoot bullseye. While you have concentrated on accuracy, have you evaluated your game, piece by piece to see where you are losing time? We've shot together quite a bit. You are more accurate than I am, but I am faster on certain other aspects of the game.

Remember - DVC, the three legged stool.

Edited by vluc

RR...that is great news. You know how to shoot the Alphas! Now comes the real challenge (and, isn't that what it's all about?)... learning to do the stuff that you don't know how to do yet.

BTW, the next step isn't to become sloppier. It is to learn to be more efficient in moving yourself and gun.

Points per second is the scoring method of USPSA. Gain more points in the same amount of time and you score better. Get the same amount of points in less time and you score better. Some people hate the next thing I'm going to say, but its true: you have to find the balance. Yes, speed counts. And it seems to be counting more and more. but super duper speed with some misses ain't gonna get it done. Don't worry about shooting fast, just do everything else fast (draw, reload, movement from one position to the next, transitions from target to target, etc). You will see your times drop and your placement higher up.

Yeah well I suck at both, so be happy that you're least halfway there :bow: What keeps me coming back is the one stage that I do shoot well, combining both speed and accuracy (for a guy of my limited abilities). It's much like my golf game, I am "proficient" enough to enjoy it, never shoot a round in total that would be considered good, but EVERY round, I have that one shot that would make the highlight reel on Sunday. Keeps me coming back. I suppose that I just accept that until I put the practice in like the pros. I'll never shoot or golf like a pro.

I wonder how many points the top guys would get if they shot as slow as you do.

Why wonder? Run your next match at 50% speed and see if you can get 100% As. :roflol:

Very Funny Ben! Just a hint of sarcasm!

Why wonder? Run your next match at 50% speed and see if you can get 100% As. :roflol:

You are one sarcastically funny dude. We need to shoot together,,,just for the laughs!

Balance. As said before, it is a matter of choices from the guns we use, to the sights we use, to the bullets we use, to the powder we use, to the way we break down stages, and on and on.

It is these challenges that make us choose this shooting game over other shooting games. If the game was just about points, we would all shoot bullseye. While you have concentrated on accuracy, have you evaluated your game, piece by piece to see where you are losing time? We've shot together quite a bit. You are more accurate than I am, but I am faster on certain other aspects of the game.

Remember - DVC, the three legged stool.

Well spoken Sensei! I will spend the rest of the season evaluating my speed... or my lack of speed. Arigatou gozaimasu!

I guess shoot smooth but not too slow... Run or move faster between targets... I am 270lbs by the way, so i always practice shooting while moving with no D's, Mikes and less C's works last area 8, not good as GM but PRACTICE /DRY FIRING Makes difference..

If you make a conscious choice between speed and accuracy you will always make the wrong choice.

(This constant speed vs. accuracy talk is starting to piss me off a little.)

When I was lucky enough to be on two super squads, all they cared about was points, because they knew their times would be similar.

There is NOTHING faster than calling every shot.

If you make a conscious choice between speed and accuracy you will always make the wrong choice.

(This constant speed vs. accuracy talk is starting to piss me off a little.)

It's almost like you need speed and accuracy. Crazy, right. :sight:

Haven't done any big matches yet, just local club stuff so far. But I tend to do fairly well since I get good hits. Some of the guys are faster, but my hits make up for being slow.

Had a stage last weekend that I figured I did horrible on due to malfunctions making me take to way long. Expected to come in last on the stage. Came in right in the middle due to how many A's I hit.

I know more speed will come as I do this more, and get things figured out.