Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

WST Xtreme 230 rn (plated) Help needed

scrappy35

For starters I have only been reloading for a year now, but have been using WST for 9mm production load. Just bought a STI Ranger II in .45 and am trying to use the same powder. Here is where I started after reading and reading some more:

4.7 gr. WST 230gr. Xtreme RN, COL 1.260 = Chrono (75-80 temp) 721, 728, 737, 704 AVG 723

Now I would like to raise the average to at least 750 fps. Would you add powder or shorten COL? and why?

I was reading on here that you could use lead data, so I went winchester's website a

You may just have a slow barrel. I would load a few at 4.8 & 4.9 and chrono again. If i recall the hotter it is outside the powder slows, colder outside temp the faster the bullet will travel. So ck it when temps drop or you could end up with some hot loads. As far as o.a.l. 1.250 is norm., 1.260 is fine as long as the bullet profile is not contacting the end of the chamber. If it feeds good and ejects without problems then you should be good to go.

You're loading at the long end of the spectrum, so you could certainly shorten it a couple of hundredths of an inch and see what the resulting pressure increase does for your velocity.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just tested some 230 gr Xtreme plated with 4 grains of WST at 1.23 OAL. Produced anywhere from 780 to 800 fps out of an almost brand new lone wolf barrel on my glock 21sf. pretty snappy but nice.

uhh should have had a .9 after the 4.......

Edited by shasta214

Thanks for the input. I loaded some from 4.7-4.9 and changed col to 1.250. The ones at 4.9 with a col of 1.250 chronoed @ 775 with no pressure signs.. One thing I did notice though was the difference between my Pro Chrono and my buddies CED. Setup in line with each other his was reading 25+ fps slower than mine.

Just tested some 230 gr Xtreme plated with 4 grains of WST at 1.23 OAL. Produced anywhere from 780 to 800 fps out of an almost brand new lone wolf barrel on my glock 21sf. pretty snappy but nice.

uhh should have had a .9 after the 4.......

You should go back and edit that post so someone doesn't find it in a search and not read your follow-up correction. I read it and was like "4gr WST made 800fps? Something must be very wrong with his scale or chronograph."