Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

45 Gold team feeding/ejection issues

maxposner

Here I am, polishing, throating the barrel, and about to tackle the extractor and ejector. At the last plate shoot, I had stoppages in 15 out of 18 magazines, frustrated, I ordered a new 38 super Gold team, because I couldn't hit anything, I sent the C-More off to the factory for a look over. I am even looking at my medication, and eye glasses. The new pistol hasn't arrived, the eyeglasses are new, the C-More is back(no charge!), I don't take medication, but I have the old dog apart and am going to range test it after the extractor and ejector are done. I have studied all the posts, I have examined Henning's extractor photo, and am just asking: Anyone have anything else to add? I hope the feeding is adequately addressed, there really are a lot of tool marks on the feed ramp and bolt face. I have a selection of springs, and loads to go along, and I have 2 spare extractors. I am hoping for a breakthrough, after all it has been years and this is the third barrel and slide. Any input will be greatly appreciated.

The pistol is in .45, I am usually using round nose 230gr lead, loaded with 5.6gr 231 and a 14# spring. I have run as low as 4.0gr 231 with a 12# spring with the original barrel and slide. Today I was able to get to the range and test it, experienced several stoppages, all related to the empty case not getting away. I had a partner along and had him watch while I was shooting and the empties are hitting the Double-Alpha 3n1 C-More mount. The mount is nicked up underneath from the brass hitting it. I believe that the empties are hitting the mount and reflecting back in the ejection port. So the question is how do I profile the ejector to throw them out and not up?

The throating worked and the pistol actually fed semi wad cutters, so the polishing and porting I think were a success. I am really supprised how ruff everything is compared to the original, I guess that's how you keep the pricing reasonable.

The pistol is in .45, I am usually using round nose 230gr lead, loaded with 5.6gr 231 and a 14# spring. I have run as low as 4.0gr 231 with a 12# spring with the original barrel and slide. Today I was able to get to the range and test it, experienced several stoppages, all related to the empty case not getting away. I had a partner along and had him watch while I was shooting and the empties are hitting the Double-Alpha 3n1 C-More mount. The mount is nicked up underneath from the brass hitting it. I believe that the empties are hitting the mount and reflecting back in the ejection port. So the question is how do I profile the ejector to throw them out and not up?

The throating worked and the pistol actually fed semi wad cutters, so the polishing and porting I think were a success. I am really supprised how ruff everything is compared to the original, I guess that's how you keep the pricing reasonable.

I had a similar scenario with my .45 with a low scope mount similar to the DAA one you are using. Couldn't get the thing to stop hitting the mount so in the end I made one which sits the bottom of the mount up a little higher and the problem went away!!

That's a possibility, but I should be able to get this to work, I still have ejector left to grind on and am looking for another so I have a spare when I ruin this one. I have spent far too long on this, and another mount would be my 6th, seems like a lot to go through.

The news is that the Gold team runs great! I loaded the 230gr RN with 5.0 gr of 231, with the reshaped and shortened ejector and throated and polished chamber and ramp. Add in the modified extractor and polished bolt face, and it worked flawless, of course, just to temper my success, I loaded about 300 rounds just a smidge too long. So there were some feeding problems, but easily fixed. I again want to thank one and all, especially Henning for the call back, the encouragement and advice were priceless.