Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bullet feeders?

Can the MBF not be mounted on a Dillon RL550B? Thinking of buying this as my 1st reloader....that or an XL650.

It can be done but it requires you to run a combined seater/crimp die. The 550 only has four stations. You'd need to do:

Station 1 - Sizing

Station 2 - Priming/Belling/Powder Charge

Station 3 - Bullet Feeder

Station 4 - Seat/Crimp

If you are definitely getting a bullet feeder, I would go with the 650. It adds a more effective case feeder system, is fully progressive, and allows you to run separate seating and crimping dies due to 5th Station.

Edited by Jonathan Taliani

• 4 weeks later...

For the most part all of the threads I read about the MR bulletfeeder said it was $550 and great. Then I saw the Ultimatereloader video of the RCBS feeder with a hornady feed die. That's $450 and does multiple calibers. Didn't even consider the Hornady (at least half of the reviews I've read say that the electric motor dies) I really want to start using a turnkey press since I've done a lifetime's worth of tinkering with my Pro 1000.

Was just about to pull the trigger on the RCBS setup and I ended up on Powerfactorshooting.com MrBullet is $470 with free shipping!

It's in the mail...

For the most part all of the threads I read about the MR bulletfeeder said it was $550 and great. Then I saw the Ultimatereloader video of the RCBS feeder with a hornady feed die. That's $450 and does multiple calibers. Didn't even consider the Hornady (at least half of the reviews I've read say that the electric motor dies) I really want to start using a turnkey press since I've done a lifetime's worth of tinkering with my Pro 1000.

Was just about to pull the trigger on the RCBS setup and I ended up on Powerfactorshooting.com MrBullet is $470 with free shipping!

It's in the mail...

You will be MUCH happier with the Mr. Bulletfeeder. The reason for the discrepancy in price is that the new DAA/Mr. Bulletfeeders are cheaper than the older variants. They used to be $550.

i plan on just getting this

http://www.reloaders.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=28_30&products_id=73

then attaching a tube to the top or something like that so i don't have to feed each bullet onto the case. just keep dropping them into the tube ontop, even if it only holds 10 5.56 bullets it is still easier and more cost effective for me.

i want to try the RCBS rifle feeder but i can't find just the conversion without the entire hopper set up.

Not sure how you'd mount on a 550 since you need another opening to mount the bullet dropper. Seat and crimp on the same die is not a good idea.

Setup everything last night. 650, casefeeder and Mr Bullet Feeder. If anything, this is the best setup for a seat/crimp die. I use the Lee 3 die set for the entire process with the RCBS lockout in Station 3. Unlike with handloading the bullets, you don't need really any flare. When I was using the Pro1000, I had to bell a lot to be able to get into a good rythm and consistenly load bullets at speed. This still only results in a couple hundred an hour.

With the Mr Bullet Feeder, it comes with a new powder flare, this doesn't bell the case the way a normal flare does, it gives it a tiny tiny shoulder. Barely working the brass at all. This causes the bullet to drop right in halfway seated. Then it gets to the seat/crimp and you only have to put a miniscule amount of crimp and seat. I didn't bother trying it, but I would bet that the case would still drop check in my barrel with no crimp at all. That's how little the flare die opens it up. It's almost unbelievable.

Cranked out 300 rounds this morning with this setup and every single one drop checked and there were no variations in the COAL. I'd recommend this setup to anyone who doesn't want to give up the powder check. Oh, and the Bullet Feeder is like going from an 88 corolla to driving in a Maserati. Whatever you're budget is, just go buy it and skimp somewhere else. Only one morning of reloads and I can't ever imagine going back.