Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2013 USPSA Revolver Nationals

I, personally, will think of the winner of Memphis as the true National Champion this year.

I can guarantee you that none of the serious contenders in Revolver Division will agree with you on that.

Memphis is tons of fun, but the experience of shooting the Memphis match is nothing like shooting a USPSA Nationals.

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Phil seems intent on improving the support of this division so I say let's support him and maybe Revo has a dedicated National with hundreds of shooters some day soon.

Absolutely!

Phil's plan will definitely mix it up, and give a bunch of other skilled revolver shooters the opportunity to shoot the match--including several who are plenty capable of winning it.

Jerry has had heavy pressure the past few years from Cliff, Matt, Rich, and a few others. Next year that pressure will increase even more when you add guys like Rob, Nils, and Shannon to the mix (just to name a few that come to mind).

I would not dream of missing the experience!

Not being a smarty pants here, but what exactly is a stupid 6 round neutral match? And what makes one of those and how should it be? just not that in tune with the revo crowd right now? Pardon my ignorance....

Rob

A stupid 6 round stage is one where there are six hits required from one firing positon and then six shots required from another position, repeat until you run out of targets. Sorta like many of the local matches do with the 8 round neutral stages 8 shots here and 8 shots there, with very little variation and no place a revo can strategize any different. Options are cool with us. I plan on attending the 2013 Revo Nationals with or without a slot. It is a sure bet that I will probably get in a good squad where ever they put me. :cheers: later, Roger Davis

I don't shoot revolver, don't even own one but if there is some deal on slots, shoot ss nats, and revolver package price I am sure I could barrow one and shoot it. How hard could it be ;)

It definitely needs to be supported by all the revo shooters no matter what the format and for those that just shoot it sometimes.

I'd have thought you would have wanted to keep the same idea as SS and not do a bunch of forced standing reloads! I don't wanna have to carry 30 moon clips and shoot 32 round courses of fire.

Nope, that's what the game is all about. For example, at the last two Nationals where we're shooting stages designed for Open and Limited shooters, I recall one standing reload in the entire match, where a final position had 8 shots and you couldn't see anything until you got there. That's the fun of revolver, figuring out how to optimize a stage. Sometimes you take risky shots, sometimes you lean around a corner farther than the other divisions would have to, sometimes you long-ball steel from 45 yards to make the round count come out right.

Also, I've never needed more than seven moons to finish. ;-)

Edited by Matt Griffin

I, personally, will think of the winner of Memphis as the true National Champion this year.

I can guarantee you that none of the serious contenders in Revolver Division will agree with you on that.

Memphis is tons of fun, but the experience of shooting the Memphis match is nothing like shooting a USPSA Nationals.

I am more concerned with the other 95% that support the division.

I would hope the continued existence of the division would not be predicated on this as a test. It is a false test.

Traveling across the country, doing PASA in a day for short courses and fighting the fight for a hotel room just doesn't work for me.

I wish everybody the best at the match.

Give me an entry into the Single Stack and I will send my applications tomorrow. That makes it worthwhile. For those in that enviable position it is going to be a great week.

Also, I've never needed more than seven moons to finish. ;-)

Sam's been cackling gleefully about some evil Texas Star type contraption at this year's Memphis Charity Challenge that might break that streak. :roflol:

I've learned that the North Mountain long 4-post moon clip holders will actually hold 12 if you turn the top row upside down (which I have had occasion to do on certain steel-centric long range field courses....

As a new shooter who jumped headlong into Revolver from the start, I have a lot of fun seeing where I can stage plan better, to make the stage run smoothly and time reloads to my advantage -- even if it's just leaning over to drop some steel early, or popping a target through a portal as I'm running past. With no other wheel-gunners in our club, I'm mostly making it up as I go along, but it's more fun than just trying to do the same thing as everyone else only faster.

And what the heck is wrong with BOTH an MCC in fall and a Nationals in spring? The more chances to shoot majors, the better.

My thoughts:

1. Please, please, please don't make this a stupid 6-shot neutral match. Just make it a regular USPSA match, a very large portion of the fun of revolver is adapting 6 shots to 8 shot arrays and 32 round field courses.

I agree with Matt 1000%. I DON'T want six round neutral. Make a good freestyle stage and let ME figure out the best way to make it revolver freindly :D If we want to shoot 6 round arrays we have ICORE for that. I find it ironic that ICORE has six round arrays and I can use a 8 shot gun and in USPSA we have 8 shot arrays and use 6 shot guns :sight:

I'd have thought you would have wanted to keep the same idea as SS and not do a bunch of forced standing reloads! I don't wanna have to carry 30 moon clips and shoot 32 round courses of fire.

Nope, that's what the game is all about. That's the fun of revolver, figuring out how to optimize a stage. Sometimes you take risky shots, sometimes you lean around a corner farther than the other divisions would have to, sometimes you long-ball steel from 45 yards to make the round count come out right.

Agree again.

As Matt said "the fun of revolver" we are having FUN shooting stages at matches every weekend that are not revolver neutral and that is part of our skill set. Anyone who shoots Revolver in USPSA on a regular basis shoots 32 round field courses at EVERY MATCH from local matches up to state and area matchs. We are used to it and know what to expect. I don't want to see it simpilified with six shot arrays. I LOVE that the Revolver folks(me included) get our own Nationals and I plan on being there. One thing that disappointed me a little was the short round count stages(if that turns out to be true). As I said before EVERY match I shot this year had almost all the stages at 30 or 32 rounds, except classifiers of course. Local matches, state matches and all the area matches I looked at the stages online All had a lot of high round count stages. I feel a National championship should have stages similar at least in round count to what you see at all the other matches. I don't have a problem with speed shoots or 20 round stages thrown in, it doesn't have to be every stage 32 rounds. I also don't want to see all the stage 18 to 24 rounds... mix it up some.

Mind you I'm VERY grateful that we are getting this chance and I will shoot this match however they set it up, and I will be smiling and having a blast doing it.

THANKS to the people that made this happen :bow:

GOOD THOUGHTS EVERYBODY. Still don't see what the issue with hotel rooms in the area is? We used to hold the big Nationals at PASA and housing everyone was never a problem. I guess if you are looking for a reason not to go you can find one.... Me thinks there is already going to be the good problem, too many people trying to enter! That's way more preferred to having only 20-30 show up!! This is starting to get exciting!!

Rob

Hi Rob

Thanks for coming and giving your thoughts they are greatly appreciated. It will be GREAT to have TGO bumping elbows with us mere beginners. As for the Memphis Charity Challenge. It is an USPSA match level II, and Revolver division is the only division recognized. It is the first Saturday in NOVEMBER of the last 3 years. 10 stages and raises money for LeBohneur Childrens hospital in Memphis. ($15,000 so far !!!)

Springfield has always been a Match level Sponsor and we have always given the invatation, so far your schedule hasn't allowed your participation. Maybe some day you will be able to attend. We would certainly love to have you with us. :cheers:

Now everybody, quit looking for an excuse not to be at PASA park May of 2013 and let's show the world that Revolvers are not the useless antiquated things everyone thinks they are.

Hopalong

Last tear they were accepting applications on December 13th. Basically the application is mailed, if the applicant didnt have an earned slot then the app was added to the waitlist.

Not sure if it will be the same this year.

Edited by BritinUSA

Has anyone heard anything more than When and Where yet? I am assuming that everything is pretty much in a holding pattern til after the 2012 Nationals and then it will be a rush to get things together.

See post #1:

"o Single Stack Nationals will remain at PASA Park, May 8-10,

2013, with a dedicated Revolver Nationals the day after the

event (May 11th)."

So, I have a newbee question.

How do you get slots at these things?

Is it purely first come first serve?

Section Coordinators will receive slots for Nationals based on the sections activities in each division.

The depending on how your section gives them out, some send to clubs, some are based on the Sections match performances, or just by requesting them from the section coordinator

Other slots are earned by finishes at Area and Prior Nationals.

The the remaining slots are given based on the waitlist

as of right now I have not heard anything as to when we should be expecting SS or Rev Nat slots.

Last year was into December for SS Slots, I would assume it will be the same this year. Kim is why to busy with the current Nationals stuff for me to bug her yet. If I hear anything about it I will add it here

So, I have a newbee question.

How do you get slots at these things?

Is it purely first come first serve?

Section Coordinators will receive slots for Nationals based on the sections activities in each division.

The depending on how your section gives them out, some send to clubs, some are based on the Sections match performances, or just by requesting them from the section coordinator

Other slots are earned by finishes at Area and Prior Nationals.

The the remaining slots are given based on the waitlist

as of right now I have not heard anything as to when we should be expecting SS or Rev Nat slots.

Last year was into December for SS Slots, I would assume it will be the same this year. Kim is why to busy with the current Nationals stuff for me to bug her yet. If I hear anything about it I will add it here

Thanks. I will send a note to section coordinator.

Not being a smarty pants here, but what exactly is a stupid 6 round neutral match? And what makes one of those and how should it be? just not that in tune with the revo crowd right now? Pardon my ignorance....

Rob

To me there is no "revo friendly match" I my self don't go to a match to make friends with the targets no matter what I am shooting.

I will throw this out to Rob, come and too the MCC in Memphis. Springfield has been a great supporter of this match and it would be super for you to show up there. I know it is the same weekend of the Steel Chalenge. Otherwise I guess we will see you at the Revo Nats @ Pasa! :cheers:

• 2 weeks later...

Just noticed on USPSA Nationals website that entry fee for the 2013 Revolver Nationals is posted.

$200 for Revolver and $200 for SS.

Does not say anything about package deal. I'm only doing Revolver anyway, if I can get a slot :D

Edited by Bosshoss

• 2 weeks later...

I really hope that things work out for the Revolver Nationals. I don't see me being able to participate in the match due to my schedule and the distance the venue is from me. Right now I have 2 state (one in Charlotte NC the other in Raleigh NC) and 2 national (one in Memphis TN, the other in Hershey-Harrisburg PA) level fencing competitions between March 2013 and September 2013. Due to these competitions my shooting sport participation is taking a backseat unfortunately. I have pondered how I could participate in the Revolver Nationals (if I were to meet the criteria) and getting in necessary practice time for both fencing along with my revolver is rife with conflict.

I have had to miss state & regional IDPA matches along with the USPSA NC Sectionals and Memphis Charity Challenge this year due to schedule related problems. I have been able to manage both fencing and shpooting sports competitions up until this year, but the addition of multiple work related training demands shooting has suffered a bit. I'll be in Franklin TN the weekend of the Memphis Charity Challenge, and not able to make the match due to work related training that starts that Monday. As if fate is playing with me I am able to participate in a fencing tournament being held at Vanderbuilt University the weekend AFTER my training.

Sorry about the divergence from the thread topic. :(

Given that it is currently unknown how many "dedicated" revolver shooters will attend, I don't see any problem with the "dedicated" single-stack shooters participating. I want the numbers to be high enough that the match is held again as it's own match in the future. The details can be "ironed out" later, but the first hurdle of getting a stand alone nationals has come to fruition. :D

My current hope is that I will get the opportunity to participate in the 2014 Revolver Nationals. To that end I want the 2013 Revolver Nationals to be a great success. :D

After some encouragement from Hopalong, I have reconsidered participating in the 2013 Revolver Nationals. It is not a sure thing, but I have been able to iron out some details making it a strong possibility. I have gotten so much enjoyment shooting my Ruger Alaskan in the Memphis Charity Challenge over the last few years that it is my goal to shoot it at the Revolver Nationals. I hope to participate and meet many more revolver shooters from across the country. :)

Edited by Blueridge

• 1 month later...