Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

938 question

gator11

Recently was playing with the idea of getting a larger caliber edc. Currently have a Lcp but touched the new 938 and was impressed by it. Anyone have first hand knowledge with one? Accuracy, dependability and feeding wise? Thanks in advance for replying.

No first hand knowledge but a friend whom I trust with my life has one. He is a very experienced shooter and great shot and has a ton of experience. His range report was veeeeeery positive. Light recoil for its size. Accurate. 100% reliable with all types of ammo. He is/will carry it. Haven't seen him to check it out but I am regretting not waiting...bought something else a bit bigger.

Richard

• 2 months later...

I've shot one and own an LCP. The LCP is great for pocket carry. Trigger is heavy, but I can live with that. I would much prefer sights and 9mm. A friend let me shoot his P938. He pocket carries it nonproblem. I was concerned about pocket carrying a single action, but was impressed with the safety. Doubt you could inadvertently push it off. If I had one I'm sure It would get more range time then the LCP.

I was surprised how accurate it can be, even with the tiniest nub sights I've ever seen. My big hands are a problem for me, I have to be very careful on how I grip it or as my finger pulls through the long(but smooth) trigger pull I tend to rotate the pistol in my grip.

It's a good gun for sure, but I suggest at least 10 minutes of fondling the trigger (even dry fire) before purchase, just to make sure you like the feel.

I've been on the fence for a while between the 238 and the 938. My biggest issue has been that the only 938 that I've fondled had a really crappy trigger. Pull was gritty and felt like it was at least 9-11lbs. Don't know if this was an isolated example or not. All the 238's I've played with have been nice. I've also added the Colt Mustang to the mix, but I'm just looking to go with a 1911 style gun for carry. The Sig night sights vastly improve the sight picture on both the 238 and 938. I wish I had a large enough frame to hide a bigger gun....

Even though I really like SIGs, and mostly shoot 1911s, and 2011s for USPSA, and IDPA, for carry, I prefer something without a safety. Under stress, it is one less thing to think about. :cheers:

Even though I really like SIGs, and mostly shoot 1911s, and 2011s for USPSA, and IDPA, for carry, I prefer something without a safety. Under stress, it is one less thing to think about. :cheers:

This is precisely why I want the same type of gun. After hundreds of draws the muscle memory takes over and I automatically grip and drop the thumb safety. My hands go to the gun in the same way every time. I spend wayyyy more time shooting with my 2011 than I do with my carry gun so any similarities are of great benefit when the REAL timer goes off.

• 4 weeks later...

I have had a P938 for about a month now I guess. It has about 400 rounds through it (all 124/147g) and has had no failures of any sort. This is my wife's carry gun and she really likes it a lot. Shoots well, carries well, looks great! The trigger is plastic and the vertical ridges on the face can be a little rough on the finger. I took a little sand paper to it and smoothed it just a little. It's fine now. It can be loaded/unloaded with the safety on. We have the Extreme model which comes with flush mag and extended mag. It has ambi-safeties which I like because I'm a lefty. The trigger is NOT like a 1911. It has a very short take-up and then breaks clean, but is around 7lbs I'd guess.

• 3 weeks later...

I am new here. I have a 938 a few months now. Put around 6 dif. brands of ammo tru it, no hangups at all. Also have two 238's my wife and i. They all shoot great. the trigger on the 938 is heavy but it now is better after i put around 500 rounds tru it. The trigger will cut you on the 938. I use gloves with it at the range. If you have to use it when you carry you don't need gloves...................:-)

• 2 weeks later...

I tossed around a used 938 for a bit, and ended up passing on it for an M&P Shield.

Like everyone else says, the trigger is lousy, but that's not what I thought the worst thing about it was.

For me the grip size and contour was horrible, the Sig was a little on the small side for me, too much of a pocket gun and not a real handgun grip at all.

EDIT: In case it matters, it was the plain all black 938, not sure what the model name was...

Edited by KSwift

I guess after waiting it out i'll just stick with my Lcp. I like the idea of the 9mm. instead of the .380 but just can't justify buying the Sig until I know they have all the bugs worked out. Also didn't love the trigger feel as some have pointed out. Thanks for all the advice guys.

I purchased a P938 (Extreme model) in October 2012 with a manufactured date of August 2012. First trip to the range was disappointing - multiple Failures to Feed, Failures to Fire, Failures to Extract and Failures to go fully into Battery all in the first 150 rounds using 3 different brands of ammo. I immediately called Sig customer service and they emailed a prepaid call tag to return the pistol within just a few minutes. In my cover letter, I complained about the stiff trigger in addition to all the failures. I dropped it off at FedEx for return on Oct 15th and received it back only 8 days later on October 23rd. The service ticket indicated that they: 1) Upgraded the Extractor, 2) Polished the Feed Ramp, and 3) Replaced the Sear Spring. I have subsequently shot several hundred (approximately 500) rounds including at least 5 different brands of ammo without a single failure of any kind. Also, they improved the trigger tremendously - it now has a measured pull of just over 6 lbs. and is very smooth. The P938 has now replaced my P238 as my carry pistol and I couldn't be happer.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just purchased one of the P938. Love how it shoots and easy to carry. Accuracy is great, but at 7 yards it is exactly 2.5 inches of to the left. Will Sig repair for free or should I just take to a gunsmith and get the back sight drifted?

• 4 weeks later...

I have about 1100 rounds through my 938. Couple minor issues; the guide rod came unscrewed and fell out at about 600 rds (re-assembled with a little blue loctite), and the extractor broke at about 900 rds. Factory replaced it free of charge. My sights were also off to the left. The shop where I bought it drifted them for free. Trigger is right around 6 lbs. Takeup was a little gritty, so I polished the top of the trigger bar where the disconnector bears on it. Now it's quite smooth. Aside from the two mechanicals, I've had exactly one FTE with 115 hardball. Other than that it's eaten everything I've fed it. I chose this gun because it operates the same way as my M1911. With the 7 rd mags it fits my hand quite well. Really like the tritium three dot sights, the trigger pull, the accuracy, and the light recoil for its size. The ridges on the trigger don't bother me at all, but the trigger guard is a little tight for me with gloves on. To the point that I need to consciously push my finger forward to let the trigger reset in winter shooting. No issue at all without the gloves.

• 3 weeks later...

I bought a 938 a few months ago and have fired about 100 rounds thru it so far. Accuracy is amazing for such a little gun. I've had no issues factory 115 and 124 grain ammo. Only issue I've had is using some of my reloads that were improperly sized and FTF. Other than that it's a great little gun and I'm very pleased with it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I took mine off the minute I got it. For me, carry guns are typically used for POA shooting and having a laser attached to the trigger guard just seems to make the gun cumbersome. Some people think that a dot from a laser is intimidating but I'm old-school and prefer to rely on my sights. I love my 938, it's accurate, carries well and I've never had a failure with several hundred rounds through it.

I have had a 938 Extreme for about a year. No issues what so ever. It is a whole different game if you compare it to LCPs, Taurus, and Keltec pocket guns. I have owned a Sig 238 and a 290 but the 938 is much better. All that being said I am switching to a CZ 2075 RAMI for carry.