Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Book on early childhood development

glknineteen

So, kind of a weird topic I know, but this forum is so insanely helpful and insightful with everything else, so I figured why not? I'm starting to see this girl, and I'm really crazy about her. It really feels right, and I hope to God that it works out. She has a 16 month old son, and I have no real practical experience in the kiddo department. I was hoping I could get some recommendations on books, videos, etc. that will help with filling me in on some helpful hint type stuff. Not really anything about child rearing, as that's obviously not my role right now. Just something I can read, watch, etc. to help avoid any of those horribly embarrassing moments that come from complete naivety. I would say that what I'm looking for is akin to something you think all babysitters should read or watch.

Thank you all in advance, and please, wish me luck :)

learn to hold your tongue. the second most important thing to learn is Think Before you speak. see rule #1 if you find your self about to say something.

learn Patience.

Be Consistent

Do NOT! tell her what she is doing wrong, If you want to keep seeing her.

She put her self out their by letting you meet her child = put your self out their by telling her how much you care.

Kids do not always smell good, learn to live with it.

Don't offer to do something that will Gross you out = she will know & the kid will know

Did I say Be Consistent. two hrs to a kid that old is like a day to us.

learn a new level of sincerity, Learn a new level of selflessness.

Do not try to change just try to learn.

The next few years can seam as though they are dragging by and thin suddenly your grand kids are calling you on the phone.

Besides books or DVDs or whatnot, the best info you can get will come from people you know that actually have kids too. Obviously info had this way is dependent on what type of person they are, good parent bad parent that kind of thing. If you really want some good tips just talk to someone who raised or is currently raising a two or three year old kid. Whoo they get wild around that time!

Dont correct momma, you gain that right when you marry her..... Maybe.

Don't try and be the boys father once he's old enough, unless your married to his mother already. Be his friend. A good one.

Kids are easy.... If it's what you want to be doing. It only gets hard when you decide that you don't want to be doing this no more. Then it's more like a chore.

Alamo is right, if you stick with her...... Enjoy every moment when he's little. It'll only happen once.....

I don't think you should get involved with the kid at all, unless you're going to actually marry the mom. There are already way too many kids out there who have deep emotional scars from attaching to a mother's boyfriend who is around for a few years and then moves on and is gone forever. Kids deserve better than being serially abandoned like that.

Or so it seems to me.

Good point carmoney. Good advice right there. Hard to hang out with the mom if she is caring for a 16 mo old though. I wouldn't pass up on a great woman just cause she has a baby and can't get a sitter. Let's face it, unless it's some super secret relationship you are going to have to interact with the kid at some point in time. Likely before marriage if it were to come to that.

If she's willing to expose herself and her baby to you in a family setting.... Pretty good sign that she maybe feels like you do. Unless she is the evil type of woman that would try and trap a man and use him for financial reasons.... And use the kid as leverage. Been there and saw the scars that left on a child. Horrible.

There's no wisdom like the kind gained through horrible experiences. Unfortunately.

If you are looking for books that will give you a good overview, I would recommend Baby 411 and Toddler 411. While I agree with what everyone else has said here, I do think it is valuable to read up a bit just so you know what to expect; and, more importantly, what you should and should not freak out about. These books provide great advice and definitely don't try to scare you, which is a problem I have found with many books out there.