Versa Max Tactical extended end cap testing

MickB

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I will be receiving my production samples shortly as well. For those receiving them, please feel free to post your technical feedback.

When installing, once the cap bottoms out, be sure to give an extra tweak to make sure the cap is fully seated. It should not move at all under recoil.

The prototypes have been rock solid.

Mick

I ordered some yesterday and they told me they would ship today! Thanks Mick for giving me the info for them.

Got the production samples today. Feel like they go on just like the prototypes and have some "bite" at the end.

Don't be afraid to turn these down tight.

Here's a pic of the black anodized +1. These have been media tumbled for a more matte black appearance. They appear blacker/shinier than the factory tube.

Mick

post-15603-0-01802500-1346294519_thumb.j

Edited by MickB

Just got back from a 3 gun match where I used my +2 endcap. So here's my nonsientific review:

1) It fit great, threaded on to the tube with no issues at all. The red anodizing was also well done.

2) It functioned flawlessly through a couple practice sessions and again through the match (total of a little over 200 rounds).

3) Gas and carbon will build up on the end cap but will easily wipe off and the anodizing was untouched by the gas and heat.

4) My only complaint is that I cannot get 10 shells in my tube (2 3/4 fiocchi 1 1/8 target loads) consistently. I've tried several times and have only been able to do it twice. That being said, for USPSA rules I can only load 9 at anytime anyway so it wasn't a factor.

Any advice on getting the 10th shell in the tube would be appreciated. Thanks again for a solid product at a great price (and super fast shipping)!

I've already brought up the issue to Glenn, of not getting all 10 rounds in with certain types of shells. He said he would have a slightly longer prototype in the mail to me the next day. Hopefully it will be here soon. I'll keep you guys posted

Good feedback. Lengths were determined using 2.75" Estate Heavy Game Loads and Federal bulk pack shells, as well as using the length of a +6 Nordic tube with regular end cap.

With the +2 in place on my Tactical, I loaded up 10 shells of Estate and Federal and measured how much space was available.

With Estate and 10 shells there is 0.75" free space left.

With Fed bulk pack, I have 0.70" free space left.

I assume the Fiochi shells are slightly longer than Federal and Estate.

How close were you to getting the 10th shell in? Do you have that measurement?

A half inch extra length might be all that is required. I know I dithered around that when we were making the prototypes.

Another trick is to use a standard plastic follower which is shorter than the aluminium unit that comes with the tactical - that will get you a little more room. You should also have a +1 sent to you as well so you can see if that needs to be lengthened slightly as well.

And did the red make you shoot faster? :)

Mick

I've already brought up the issue to Glenn, of not getting all 10 rounds in with certain types of shells. He said he would have a slightly longer prototype in the mail to me the next day. Hopefully it will be here soon. I'll keep you guys posted

Edited by MickB

Any movement of the cap at all?

Mick

Just got back from a 3 gun match where I used my +2 endcap. So here's my nonsientific review:

1) It fit great, threaded on to the tube with no issues at all. The red anodizing was also well done.

2) It functioned flawlessly through a couple practice sessions and again through the match (total of a little over 200 rounds).

3) Gas and carbon will build up on the end cap but will easily wipe off and the anodizing was untouched by the gas and heat.

4) My only complaint is that I cannot get 10 shells in my tube (2 3/4 fiocchi 1 1/8 target loads) consistently. I've tried several times and have only been able to do it twice. That being said, for USPSA rules I can only load 9 at anytime anyway so it wasn't a factor.

Any advice on getting the 10th shell in the tube would be appreciated. Thanks again for a solid product at a great price (and super fast shipping)!

Mick

Nope. The end cap, once tightened, didn't move at all. So kudos on that.

As far as the 10th round with the fiocchi it was really close but never really got it. I got it twice by chance but I dry fired it with the live ammo on a range and only got 10 rounds in twice out of the 20 plus time I tried it.

That being said, if it was a little longer it would work great. I'm a fan of the product for USPSA sanctioned three gun; however, if it was an outlaw match or if you could load 10 for tac optics it wouldn't have worked like I wanted it to.

I"m a fan of the product, and if they come out with a revised version I'd buy it. Good stuff from GALCO and thanks to MickB for the hook up.

And did the red make you shoot faster? :)

Mick

The red made me shoot WAAAAY faster! haha no I still suck but it wasn't cause I wasn't looking FABULOUS

kidding but a few people did say they liked the red look. So thanks for a good product.

Mick

Nope. The end cap, once tightened, didn't move at all. So kudos on that.

As far as the 10th round with the fiocchi it was really close but never really got it. I got it twice by chance but I dry fired it with the live ammo on a range and only got 10 rounds in twice out of the 20 plus time I tried it.

That being said, if it was a little longer it would work great. I'm a fan of the product for USPSA sanctioned three gun; however, if it was an outlaw match or if you could load 10 for tac optics it wouldn't have worked like I wanted it to.

I"m a fan of the product, and if they come out with a revised version I'd buy it. Good stuff from GALCO and thanks to MickB for the hook up.

I'm pretty sure you can get hooked up with a slightly longer end cap... :)

Mick

I suggested to Glenn to have both caps extended by a half an inch. I felt that that extra length would give a comfortable buffer when loaded to capacity with fiocchi slugs which I think are the longest 2 3/4" shells around. I determined this length by loading up the tube and unscrewing the cap to create more room in the tube. Unscrewing a half inch felt like the best additional length

Thanks for the info.

I just checked with Winchester Ranger Reduced Recoil slugs which are longer than Estate and Federal bird shot.

With the +2, the 10th shell is very tight to get in.

With the +1, the 9th shell is very tight to get in.

That said, with the +2, if I loaded 9 slugs and 1 bird shot, I had no issues.

Same with the +1. No problems with 8 slugs and 1 birdshot.

My 26" versamax with the +6 tube and XXL cap also has the exact same issue, however.

An extra half inch looks like it would be perfect for the +2.

For the +1, looks like an extra quarter inch might work, but would have to compare with an extra half inch.

Mick

I suggested to Glenn to have both caps extended by a half an inch. I felt that that extra length would give a comfortable buffer when loaded to capacity with fiocchi slugs which I think are the longest 2 3/4" shells around. I determined this length by loading up the tube and unscrewing the cap to create more room in the tube. Unscrewing a half inch felt like the best additional length

Edited by MickB

Update: I received a prototype +2 that was lengthened by 0.625".

Using Estate 2.75" Heavy Game loads, with 10 shells in the tube, there is 1.3" of fee space.

With Winchester Reduced Recoil slugs, there is 0.5" of free space when 10 slugs are in the tube.

The above are using the standard spring that comes with the Tactical. When using a longer Nordic spring set up for a 10rd tube, the free space when using slugs is gone. The 10th shell is easy to get in, but there is about 0.1" or so of free space left.

Mick

Edited by MickB

I have been told that there is a bigger demand for the red end caps over the black ones. Seems we're a fashion conscious bunch or the red really does make one go faster. :)

So, for the fashionable shooters out there, what would you think of blue or even green caps?

Mick