Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

pressure signs for .45

motosapiens

Wondering what to look for as I gradually bump up the powder charge (still well below max), with a .05 shorter OAL than what is listed for the max load?

I'd guess it will never look like a hot .40 case, but I'm not seeing anything even vaguely resembling the primer shape or headstamp flattening that i see with self-defense .45 rounds (winchester ranger).

I normally like to stay well within the book range, but these bullets and my pistol won't allow me to go to the full 1.24 oal.

This is with n320 btw. Considering just trying a slower powder (wsf?)

Edited by motosapiens

Wondering what to look for as I gradually bump up the powder charge (still well below max), with a .05 shorter OAL than what is listed for the max load?

I'd guess it will never look like a hot .40 case, but I'm not seeing anything even vaguely resembling the primer shape or headstamp flattening that i see with self-defense .45 rounds (winchester ranger).

I normally like to stay well within the book range, but these bullets and my pistol won't allow me to go to the full 1.24 oal.

This is with n320 btw. Considering just trying a slower powder (wsf?)

45 acp is a low pressure round. What is your current load? You have more room to play with 45acp than a .40. You don't need a slower powder. n320 or W231 or HP38 have burn rates that are fine for even the hottest 45acp load. Slower stuff is good for magnum shooting.

You're not going to see flat primers with .45. If you do, you're already LONG beyond the pressure limit.

I have never seen a flat .45 primer. I would be very concerned if I did. I have not hot-rodded the .45 ACP like I have some other calibers though.

45 acp is a low pressure round. What is your current load?

Thanks for your thoughts.

max in the book is 5.5 gr of n320 at 1.240 oal

my plan is 5.1 gr of n320 at 1.190 oal (longest i can reliably load these bullets for this gun).

I shot a few of those already but didn't have my chrono. Looks like they should get me close to major. I realize 45's don't flatten out against the breech face like 40, but there is definitely some flattening visible on factory SD .45 rounds, and I can't perceive any at all on the handful I shot at 5.1. That leads me to believe that i'm probably ok, but I'm still a squeamish little girl about it.

Manuals say 'always maintain minimum oal or longer with 'never exceed' loads, but they don't say what to do if you are a few tenths below the 'never exceed' load.

45 acp is a low pressure round. What is your current load?

Thanks for your thoughts.

max in the book is 5.5 gr of n320 at 1.240 oal

my plan is 5.1 gr of n320 at 1.190 oal (longest i can reliably load these bullets for this gun).

I shot a few of those already but didn't have my chrono. Looks like they should get me close to major. I realize 45's don't flatten out against the breech face like 40, but there is definitely some flattening visible on factory SD .45 rounds, and I can't perceive any at all on the handful I shot at 5.1. That leads me to believe that i'm probably ok, but I'm still a squeamish little girl about it.

Manuals say 'always maintain minimum oal or longer with 'never exceed' loads, but they don't say what to do if you are a few tenths below the 'never exceed' load.

Some of those factory loads can be over hot. Corbon in particular has a history of some over pressured loads. I think they believe that 100 more FPS is more important than a safe,controllable gun. You're fine where you are and even have room for growth if you wish. Cautious is good, squeamish not so much. Chrono your stuff. That's the best way to give you the full story.

I agree with everyone above that you're never gonna see a flat primer before something else gives. I've got a load I use in revolvers and a T/C Encore that's pretty hot. A 230gr JHP doing 1178fps with 8.0 gr of WSF. It's a published load out of a Sierra manual for revo's only. But the primers still look fine, a little flattened but not much. Clark Custom Guns will make you a .460 Rowland conversion that runs that hot in a 1911, they install a comp to slow the slide down though. My point is the primer/case can take ALOT! So I agree with the above that you need a chrono to know what's going on, and a prudent/cautious approach when near the max of anything. I'd really be more concerned with the slide velocity and frame getting beaten up.

Kevin