Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Getting a job quality audited by the toughest

GrumpyOne

I was foreman on 3,300 hour job earlier this year. It was a rush job, very difficult, very dangerous (to the network), 119 major work items, several thousand minor details. I was allowed (by the criteria set by the customer) 216 minor defects, 54 major defects, and 0 critical defects. A minor defect could consist of something so small as using a slotted screw to secure something instead of a Phillips head screw. A major defect could consist of not having a cable completely inserted into a lug before being crimped. There was over 500 bolt kits used, and one washer turned the wrong way would be a minor defect. Over 1,000 pieces of labeling was applied, and one misspelled word, or one wrong digit in the designation would be a minor defect. Over 500 lugs, inline splices, and halftaps were used. We built a new plant and moved all service from the old plant, all without turning anything off, or losing service to any equipment (had I lost service on ANY piece of equipment, I would have been fired, on the spot).

The auditor has been known to take equipment apart to verify that the work was up to standard, been known to write up a cable that was 1/8" too long unsupported, been known to write up a label that was 11/16" letters instead of 3/4" letters, been known to write up MANUFACTURER defects, such as the manufacturer using slotted screws, and charge them us, because we didn't fix/change them.

He found nothing. Not even a minor item. No bad screw, no bad label, no bad connection, no bolt turned the wrong way, no incorrect designation. Nothing.

That is pretty cool. You moved entire electrical service?? Or data or what? Details!!

Congrats on the audit as well. Someone combing through work done by others you are in charge of can be stressful, to say the least. You must have had a superb crew.

:cheers:

That Reminds me of the first major remodel I super'ed back when I did construction. Well over 100 grand job on a really nice lakehouse. I had NO punch list. The couple that owned it and their 3rd party inspector found not a single item out of line. My boss had been doing it for 30+ years and was blown away by it. He insisted there must be SOMETHING, no matter how small. He came and checked it out. He left shaking his head and I got a nice bonus...

That is pretty cool. You moved entire electrical service?? Or data or what? Details!!

Congrats on the audit as well. Someone combing through work done by others you are in charge of can be stressful, to say the least. You must have had a superb crew.

A little background; I build DC power plants for 1 of the 2 largest telecommunication company's in the world. All telephone and most data service works off of DC power. -48v DC voltage to be precise. Millions of amps potential with a direct short between battery and ground, some equipment carrying millions of dollars per hour worth of data, 911 circuits, hospital circuits, airport circuits, etc.

At the company I worked for previously (Lucent Technologies) , a guy shut down an ESS (electronic switching system) in the middle of the day, losing service and revenues for the then Bell South, for 6 hours, and the company was fined a total 23 million combined dollars, having to pay the FCC fine, and to pay for lost revenue.

So, what we do is move service, while it is carrying traffic, people talking on the phone, using the internet, watching tv, using their mobile device, all without anyone ever knowing.

A little background; I build DC power plants for 1 of the 2 largest telecommunication company's in the world. All telephone and most data service works off of DC power. -48v DC voltage to be precise. Millions of amps potential with a direct short between battery and ground, some equipment carrying millions of dollars per hour worth of data, 911 circuits, hospital circuits, airport circuits, etc.

At the company I worked for previously (Lucent Technologies) , a guy shut down an ESS (electronic switching system) in the middle of the day, losing service and revenues for the then Bell South, for 6 hours, and the company was fined a total 23 million combined dollars, having to pay the FCC fine, and to pay for lost revenue.

So, what we do is move service, while it is carrying traffic, people talking on the phone, using the internet, watching tv, using their mobile device, all without anyone ever knowing.

Yeeaahhh I could do that, but I like to take a nap around 2 o'clock every day. :rolleyes:

One would think that you would find any critique on your project annoying.

Your job sounds pretty hard. I would demand a raise. :bow:

My only reward will be I get to keep my job, and I get a weekly paycheck. I do get perks... The bosses get me what I want or need to do my job....without questioning why I need it, and they leave me alone.

I was foreman on 3,300 hour job earlier this year. It was a rush job, very difficult, very dangerous (to the network), 119 major work items, several thousand minor details. I was allowed (by the criteria set by the customer) 216 minor defects, 54 major defects, and 0 critical defects. A minor defect could consist of something so small as using a slotted screw to secure something instead of a Phillips head screw. A major defect could consist of not having a cable completely inserted into a lug before being crimped. There was over 500 bolt kits used, and one washer turned the wrong way would be a minor defect. Over 1,000 pieces of labeling was applied, and one misspelled word, or one wrong digit in the designation would be a minor defect. Over 500 lugs, inline splices, and halftaps were used. We built a new plant and moved all service from the old plant, all without turning anything off, or losing service to any equipment (had I lost service on ANY piece of equipment, I would have been fired, on the spot).

The auditor has been known to take equipment apart to verify that the work was up to standard, been known to write up a cable that was 1/8" too long unsupported, been known to write up a label that was 11/16" letters instead of 3/4" letters, been known to write up MANUFACTURER defects, such as the manufacturer using slotted screws, and charge them us, because we didn't fix/change them.

He found nothing. Not even a minor item. No bad screw, no bad label, no bad connection, no bolt turned the wrong way, no incorrect designation. Nothing.

:bow::bow::bow:

I thought it sounded like data/phone/Internet. That's pretty impressive. Yeah, companies tend to get a little pissed when a worker causes a 23 million dollar fine.... Just a little.

You are a prime example of one of my favorite phrases.

If you don't like your job.... You shouldn't be there. Get one you like, and you will be good at it.

I work in industrial electricity, I gotta say, it's all in the details. Finding zero issues doesn't happen on accident. Very cool!