Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Seeing the clay

wide45

Last winter I tried a round of Clays with one special thought for the day; "SEE the bird". It was not a success. Afterwards, I realized that I had never let the muzzle get near the bird.

It was something of a breakthrough moment when I realized I'd need to blot out the clay when it is rising fast, directly away. That took trust, I really want to see it, and see it break.

You talk of seeing the bird, like it means something, but I don't get it.

IMHO, "seeing" the bird means that you "read" the direction, speed and movement of the "target".

The relationship between the focused(seen) target and the blurred bbl(unseen :) ) "tells" you when to fire.

If you hit the target, with regularity, you did see the target, swung through and fired according to your "memory" and style. You just happen to 'cover' the target when you fire. I think you will find that increasing difficult to do as the speed, angle and distance of the target increases or varies. Basically, it works for some shots, it doesn't for others. I don't know how you can "blot out" a 50 yard crosser and hit it.

You could try a higher stock which allows you to "see" it break while still breaking it by "blotting" it out...in case you have to; targets dip, different moves, etc. It won't be the center of pattern, but still breaks.

Low stocks(field) may have a 50/50 Point of Impact. 50% above the "aim" point and 50% below. Moderate stocks may have a 60/40. As you get into "trap stocks", so to speak, they can be 70/30, 80/20 and up to 100% above the POI.

IMHO, I would shoot the highest stock that allows you to "see" the target and still "blot it" out if need be or can be depending on the target.

Seeing the target is the only way to hit it. I have a SxS that I have been shooting for years. It is small and light and just seems to fit me perfectly. (BIG key!)

When I see the target, I bing the gun up and seat it on my shoulder and just keep looking for the bird. I never see the gun barrels or the bead. The gun simply hits where I look. Lead is something you have to learn and that just takes lots of practice. It is amazing how quickly we can lose focus and that is when you miss.

Most misses I see on the clays and skeet field come from stopping the gun. Keep swinging through and watch the broken pieces of clay hit the ground. ;)